The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Who’s done it? Chucking a sickie.

Mizu Kuma - 24 July 2015 01:18 PM
blizzard_22 - 24 July 2015 01:01 PM

Yep done it. Broke my wrist. Never again!

So you had no problem gettin a certificate?????

No the problem she had was trying to explain how she broke her arm. She just kept telling them that she “just fell” leaving the where as completely ambiguous as possible. I think it was 6 months later her boss admitted that he always knew she was boarding…

Done it every now and then over the years for surf/snow/other general fun reasons.
When I’m at work I happily and without complaining do extra work to cover others when they are off, so it doesn’t bother me to call on them to do the same occasionally.
Life is about far more than work so I try not to let it ever interfere in the fun.

Darkclouds097 - 24 July 2015 01:42 PM
Mizu Kuma - 24 July 2015 01:18 PM
blizzard_22 - 24 July 2015 01:01 PM

Yep done it. Broke my wrist. Never again!

So you had no problem gettin a certificate?????

No the problem she had was trying to explain how she broke her arm. She just kept telling them that she “just fell” leaving the where as completely ambiguous as possible. I think it was 6 months later her boss admitted that he always knew she was boarding…

Well, here’s to hopin that the boss isn’t a Boardworld Lurker!!!!! LOL

See, what we all need in our contract agreement is one of these like it has in a shirt I have:

Right?  cheese

Do you actually need to supply a dr certificate for sick days?

I always thought if a job came with “sick leave” you are entitled to take them whenever you want, without having to provide an excuse.
If your boss repeatedly asks for a reason it borders on workplace bullying.

Personally I’ve never needed to - if I risk my job because I went to the snow or surfing so be it.

My life is too important to worry about the boss making a few extra bucks.
I’m more likely to take a sick day to avoid going snowboarding.

Tj - stoked to part of it, still in my top 5 snow days ever.

Mizu Kuma - 24 July 2015 01:55 PM

Well, here’s to hopin that the boss isn’t a Boardworld Lurker!!!!! LOL

LOL he is now a good friend of ours LOL

spaz - 24 July 2015 05:55 PM

Do you actually need to supply a dr certificate for sick days? I always thought if a job came with “sick leave” you are entitled to take them whenever you want, without having to provide an excuse.

In the pubilc service it is in most enterprise agreements. 2 to 3 or more concurrent days off and you must provide a certificate. We also have a total of 60 hours sick leave without a certificate per year, once that has been exhausted you need a certificate for every absence.

^ If you can’t provide a certificate, you can choose to use a stat dec instead.
It will cover you legally and your boss cannot refuse to accept it.

Sometimes it isn’t practical to be able to see a doctor on the day you have off for whatever reason.

Be aware that a stat dec is a legal document and theoretically there are legal ramifications for putting lies on one.

Your employer is also able to check with the doctor if you have been in.
No they can’t ask the nature of why you were in, the best they can get is whether there was an appointment taken for the day in question.

grunge - 25 July 2015 12:56 AM

^ If you can’t provide a certificate, you can choose to use a stat dec instead.

Yep I forgot to mention that. It is so hard to get a doctors appointment on the day you’re sick, and doctors then don’t back date certificates. So sometimes a stat dec is the only answer. Or if you’ve just got a headache or common cold and don’t want/need to go to the doctor.