The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mick Fanning Attacked by a Shark at J-Bay

In case you somehow missed it, Mick Fanning was attacked by a shark in the final at the J-Bay Open in South Africa earlier today.

Thankfully, Mick escaped without any injuries. The event was subsequently called off. I can’t imagine how terrifying this must have been…kudos to the rescue team who were super quick to respond. 

J-Bay is apparently home to some of the most shark-infested waters on Earth, and people are calling for further precautionary measures at future J-Bay events — some ‘pundits’ are even calling for the event to be abolished. What do you guys think about that?

I think most of us on here are probably happy to agree that we’re in their oceans, and shark attacks are something that we have to deal with as a result. Either way, it’s frightening stuff.

He’s one very lucky boy!!!!!

I’m rattled just from watching it. As others have said, he’s incredibly lucky to be alive after that encounter. What a legend… he must have been so freaked out by the whole thing when it was happening. I’m just very thankful both surfers are OK. Could have been a nightmare scenario.

Man’o man. I saw this whole thing live, at first it took me a couple of seconds to catch on as i didn’t believe what was happening.

This has to be the scariest thing I’ve ever seen on a screen by far. Thank god Mick and Julian got out unscathed.

I’ve always been a huge Julian Wilson fan, but the heroic’s he showed was undeniably the bravest thing I’ve ever seen. Paddling TOWARDS Mick where any other person would of bolted towards the shore. I think the Mayor of Coolum has nominated Julian for a bravery award. Amazing

The mainstream media has had a field day with this as you could imagine, give them in inch and they take 10 miles. Shark attacks in our beloved sport are something that can occur any time any where. We venture into their back yard. They’re always there. As much as i hate crowds, I’m a firm believer in power in numbers. I feel a lot safer with more people in the water than i do with just myself or one other guy. But hey, them’s the risk’s we take as surfer’s.

To Mick and Julian. We hope you guys aren’t to rattled and we’re looking forward to seeing you in Tahiti.

Much love from the BW crew smile

Incase you missed Mick and Julian’s press conference..

Two deadset legends. Mick handles himself so well — in the water and in front of cameras.

I have no issues with boards, hats, sponsor logos on clothing etc… but as if they were drinking Red Bull (or wanted to). Way to take it one step too far to take the focus away from what’s important. I guess a massive Red Bull logo on the surfboards wasn’t enough? Extreme athletes drink Red Bull all the time! You must too! LOL

rider26 - 23 July 2015 08:38 PM

Two deadset legends. Mick handles himself so well — in the water and in front of cameras.

I have no issues with boards, hats, sponsor logos on clothing etc… but as if they were drinking Red Bull (or wanted to). Way to take it one step too far to take the focus away from what’s important. I guess a massive Red Bull logo on the surfboards wasn’t enough? Extreme athletes drink Red Bull all the time! You must too! LOL

Haha, I thought the empty cans of RB were a bit of an overkill. Must be stated in their contract or some crap.

Clause 7.8.5: When interviewing for a press conference the spoken athlete must be holding an empty can of Redbull so the kids will buy more of it and we can become money hungry bastards… Hahahaha wink

Just kidding Redbull, i enjoy your honey like drink with my vodka as much as the next person!!

It did kinda make me want a Red Bull. cheese

my opinion is that it was an encounter, not an attack. If it was an attack, he’d be dead. Great whites attack from below. Pretty sure it was just curious, and may have taken a small nibble to see what he was if it hadn’t gotten caught in the leg rope.

Either way it was super hectic…I just don’t like it being made out to be an attack when it wasn’t. I’m as scared as anybody of sharks but hate them being demonised and made out to be man-eating scourges of the sea.

Problem is though, that a “little nibble” in the wrong spot, can pretty much turn into a funeral!!!!!

It was still an attack, just not a full blown hit that they’re capable of!!!!!

First thing both guys aknowledged is that they were in the Sharks territory, and in no way are demonising the shark!!!!!

That’s just what sharks do!!!!!