The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Falls Creek getting all antsy on drones.

The CEO (TJ’s boss man I believe) was on the radio, no drones at Falls, citing some rubbish about helicopters landing there and CASA say its a big no no.

I reckon he is just a big old fun buster who had a radio controlled plane when he was a kid, lacked skill and crashed it. Then his Pops went all postal on him.

Falls Creek Resort has issued a policy on Drone use in the Resort.

In referring to the use of drones, Falls Creek Resort Management Board (FCRMB) has referenced The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), via Civil Aviation Safety Regulations part 101 (CASR101) to address concerns on public safety, privacy and property damage. As such the resort will be adopting the CASA applied rules for use by both private and commercial operators.

Drones are classified as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) and Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA). In order for the resort to ensure users do not breach the rules as recommended by CASA, FCRMB has banned the use of all such aircraft in the resort.

FCRMB CEO Stuart Smythe commented “the proliferation in Point of View cameras, and now this next evolution with thrill seekers wanting to use drones to capture and record footage of users’ exploits, needs to be carefully managed. The CASA guidelines are very clear. The resort simply cannot allow the use of such devices in the interests of public safety and with respect to damage to property, infrastructure and people in general. The resort will issue permits for use by suitably qualified and experienced operators based on proof of CASA compliance and certified operational status – with particular use for commercial or promotional opportunities only”.

“As an active resort and with a product offering including the Heli Link between Falls Creek and Mt Hotham, our air space is active enough. The CASA directive makes it very clear with regards to where it is appropriate to operate such devices and a ski resort simply does not qualify”.

Wow…

Even without the CASA Guidlines, I reckon it was always gonna be a no fly zone for drones inside the resorts!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 19 June 2015 05:47 PM

Even without the CASA Guidlines, I reckon it was always gonna be a no fly zone for drones inside the resorts!!!!!

this

ozgirl - 19 June 2015 07:16 PM

this

What do ya’s think that would be the case? Privacy? Safety?

If they don’t want drones used then end of, but I don’t understand going to the extent of quoting CASA and their regulations.

Just typical bullshit Nanny state regulation that we need to protect us from ourselves.

When little Timmy gets an eye taken out while he’s side slippin front valley, Mr & Mrs Timmy Senior seek legal advice!!!!!

And so the story goes!!!!!

I blame Ally McBeal for our litigious society these days, but I actually got my mini drone stuck in the insulation of the powderpak warehouse today, it’s probably a good thing I’m not allowed to fly one at falls

You’re just lucky that Timmy wasn’t hangin from the purlins!!!!!

I saw this coming too. The resorts were never going to allow this sort of stuff. I’m not saying I agree with it, because I don’t, but this was always the path drones were headed for. I’m surprised it took so long.

Yeah, I think they were all just puttin off havin to be the first to be The Fun Police!!!!!

Not my boss. The Resort Management boss. There is 2 halves of the resort and we mainly do the operational / lift running part.

In regards to the drones themselves, it was always going to be the case with Helicopters run from Helipads here and at Hotham. Even still, you need to have an experienced pilot who isn’t skiing or snowboarding to operate it anyway which won’t always happen. Hit one person or building with it and there is a law suit higher than the small backlash that may come out of this.

Honestly having drones around is bloody annoying. Especially cos mostly they will be filming washed out turns on groomers for their YouTube clips. I thi k it’s not necessary in a resort. If filmers want to use one they get approval to do so.
Sorry to be a hater but I don’t think they are needed.

But at same time I do hate the nanny state we live in two and I’m the first to beak the rules smirk

Double post - no delete button yet for mods?

trentradpants - 19 June 2015 10:31 PM

I blame Ally McBeal for our litigious society these days, but I actually got my mini drone stuck in the insulation of the powderpak warehouse today, it’s probably a good thing I’m not allowed to fly one at falls

That filthy money hungry hussy!!!!!!

If its her fault, I say we launch a drone attack on her!!  airplane

yes bad sadly she married indiana jones and i cant risk hurting that pillar of human kind as collateral damage