The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

- NISEKO 2014/15 -

mattyp - 10 February 2015 05:04 PM

(still can’t embed youtubes… haha)

This was yesterday late morning.  Got 3rd chair up swinging monkey and gave it a good shot.

Its been snowing all night and all day today.
Pretty incredible to see this much snow come down, and apparently its still not that great. .......!!!!!!!

Got some more footage today, will have to check it out and see if there anything decent on it.

EDIT: I embedded it for you. Click edit to see what I did. Though the video is still private. - TJ

Epic, dude! Stoked you’re having a blast over there! shaka

So I’m going to sort myself out for Japan trip for next season. I don’t really want to purchase another board just for a few weeks of riding powder.

Is there any where you can hire a board? Which is reasonably priced?
Would it be cheaper just to get a powder shredder for that time?
What style of board are most of you peeps riding in them conditions?

Time to check locations as Niseko looks like little Australia. I want to see some culture not Aussies acting like drunktards and boasting about how they dropped lines all day.

bkrtron - 24 March 2015 11:54 AM

So I’m going to sort myself out for Japan trip for next season. I don’t really want to purchase another board just for a few weeks of riding powder.

Time to check locations as Niseko looks like little Australia. I want to see some culture not Aussies acting like drunktards and boasting about how they dropped lines all day.

You say that… but even when I was in Hakuba, there was still a ton of culture and Japan to see. Sure it’s a bit Aussie but I don’t know if I can go far enough to learn enough Japanese to go well out into the non-ventured places.

And while I’m snowboarding I want the best powder, not the most authentic experience. That’s what non-snow trips are for lol.

TJswish - 24 March 2015 02:25 PM
bkrtron - 24 March 2015 11:54 AM

You say that… but even when I was in Hakuba, there was still a ton of culture and Japan to see. Sure it’s a bit Aussie but I don’t know if I can go far enough to learn enough Japanese to go well out into the non-ventured places.

And while I’m snowboarding I want the best powder, not the most authentic experience. That’s what non-snow trips are for lol.

I hear ya man wink

I will do a bit of both cultural and just chasing the snow. I have a friend who is Japanese who will help us around so that’s a plus.

There’s a few rental shops in Niseko.  Most will have a beginner package and an advanced package. Think it’s just a better board.  Unsure of prices though.

I rode my 155 Yes Basic with roughly the same stance setup as I ride in Aus.  Back foot was a little less ducked, but stance width was the same and I had no troubles at all.

Niseko was very Westernized.
But yea..  Travel the rest of Japan if you want traditional stuff. 

Where are you looking at heading to?

There’s a few rental shops in Niseko.  Most will have a beginner package and an advanced package. Think it’s just a better board.  Unsure of prices though.

I rode my 155 Yes Basic with roughly the same stance setup as I ride in Aus.  Back foot was a little less ducked, but stance width was the same and I had no troubles at all.

mattyp - 28 March 2015 11:01 PM

I hear Niseko is the way to go but would like to travel around and maybe even go on a tour for off-piste riding. That’s great to know Matty with the 155 Yes Basics…I have only a Forum Scallywag 153cm now since I sold my other board. Hakuba would be nice to see also but I think it might end up a annual trip for me. Might spend a few days just to have a look around Tokyo and Kyoto.