The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Advice required: buying a longboard - Sydney.

Hi

I am hoping to get some advice re buying a longboard.

I’ve got a 7ft McCoy which I want to trade.  I haven’t surfed for 13 years until recently, and I’ve had trouble catching waves on it!

I went to WICKS in Collaroy, who recommended a Modern Longboard (which I’ve heard are crap), then to Dripping Wet Manly (who recommended their own brand, Dripping Wet, which I am not keen on) and then to Dripping Wet Bondi who almost sold me a Na Papa 9ft, but after reading reviews online about Na Papa and think it would be a bad move to get one of those.

I’ve looked on Gumtree and there are heaps on there - however, I don’t know what I need!  I feel I need to be guided by an expert in a surf shop!  But then they do the big sales pitch!  I guess I take a risk.

WHAT I WANT:  I want to be able to catch waves easily, and to move around the wave and carve a bit.  I don’t want to be limited to surfing a wave in a straight line.

Any advice, recommendations, shops to go to (in Sydney - Eastern or Northern) would be great.

Cheers!

Hey mate,

Have you tried Surf Culture in Bondi Junction? They have a huge range of boards and they really know their stuff. Also worth checking out STM which is very close to Surf Culture. STM have cheaper options but still have a good selection of shapes.

Have you considered a fish? It’s a really fun and versatile shape. They paddle into waves really well due to increased volume, but they are still super fun to surf.

rider26 - 01 January 2014 10:54 AM

Have you considered a fish? It’s a really fun and versatile shape. They paddle into waves really well due to increased volume, but they are still super fun to surf.

Will 100% agree with rider on this one. If you’ve been surfing for 13 years on a longboard, no doubt i assume your pretty confident on your feet.

Mini mals and longs boards are fun to learn on, but once you wanna start doing lil hacks and turns they suck.

A fish board is the way to go, they still have enough thickness and volume in the nose to be an easy paddler and wave catcher but still allowing you to do a top turn or a little power carve. Great summer fun time boards! Im actually in the market for one myself!

Something like this would be great! (This is actually the board im looking into getting)

Both STM and Surf Culture in Bondi are great shops (myself and rider know as we worked in STM, haha!)

I live on the northern beaches, so if you need a helping hand to pick up a board this side id be more than happy to help!

Keeping ripping!!  shaka

Thanks for your replies, that’s great!

I bought a Bob Brown 9"2 & it’s awesome!

Will definitely look into the fish tail in the future!

Thanks again!