The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Favorite rider to watch turn

You raise a very good point skip11, my flatmate is an APSI Level 3 (aussie) qualified instructor and she rides slightly more open (upper body facing more in the direction of travel not side on, aligned with the board) and her riding is super strong.  As a CASI (Canadian) qualified instructor I can’t comment on the benefits of that style very succinctly but I believe the idea is that you’re in an anticipated position ready for the heel turn to come.  Perhaps any aussie qualified instructors could help out with this one…...

I look forward to hearing peoples views on this one.

Skip…
I had to go back and re-read my post, but what my initial comments were about your arm as that it seems to be the first thing that moved. meaning you were starting to create your next turn by shifting weight over your new edge… and this weight shift began with your arm transitioning from one edge over the board to the other edge. I was encouraging you to simply be conscious of it and initiate the new turn with a different body movement.

As far as using your arm to counter balance. This will be inevitable as to keep one’s balance you use your arms. but seldom does anyone but Terje make turns as dynamic as Terje, and in the pictures above he is on a baked turn, which changes a lot of things too.

I prefer riding critique to be focused on not what is “Wrong” - but that there are different ways and there can be more effective ways, and that a good rider can show the versatility of different styles and abilities. I bet if asked if Terje can make that turn with his arms touching his helmet, he could still do it, but I don’t think I could. See what I mean. Not that you’d ever need to ride with your gloves on your helmet… but when you are a little squiggly coming out of one turn and you dive into the next one… who knows what positions your arms will be in to help keep balance and if you can’t adjust your weight using other mechanisms… BOOM.

snowslider - 26 February 2012 06:30 AM

in the pictures above he is on a baked turn, which changes a lot of things too.

It’s very true snowslider, having a morning cone changes lots of things! smile

I totally forgot about Craig Kelly. Just watched Let It Ride again for the second time man he got some sweet turns. I changed my mind, he’s probably my favorite guy (and maybe the best) to watch turn, Terje comes close in second.

I read the title of this thread and clicked to say “Craig Kelly”

Guy is a legend shaka

skip11 - 03 January 2014 03:00 PM

I totally forgot about Craig Kelly. Just watched Let It Ride again for the second time man he got some sweet turns. I changed my mind, he’s probably my favorite guy (and maybe the best) to watch turn, Terje comes close in second.

He was an enigma, that’s for sure. I actually doubt that anyone will ever exceed Craig’s grace on a snowboard.

He was an enigma, that’s for sure. I actually doubt that anyone will ever exceed Craig’s grace on a snowboard.

Agreed, I don’t think anyone has or will ever ride like Craig. I think his own analogy of his riding being similar to rolling a ball down a mountain and taking whatever is in the path in flow sums up his riding perfectly. If I could ride down a mountain (just riding, no crazy freestyle tricks along the way), I would want to ride like Craig.