The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Buying a skateboarding camera?

Hey guys it’s coming up to Christmas and I’m looking at getting good camera that will adapt a fisheye to it. I was looking at Maybe a DSLR or a camcorder that has a thread.
I was looking around the 400$ range considering I’m only 14 and have no job. So if a anyone has any suggestions on cameras, packages/bundles, or anything I would be grateful. Thanks
Eamon ...

Eamon Murphy - 04 December 2013 07:37 PM

Hey guys it’s coming up to Christmas and I’m looking at getting good camera that will adapt a fisheye to it. I was looking at Maybe a DSLR or a camcorder that has a thread.
I was looking around the 400$ range considering I’m only 14 and have no job. So if a anyone has any suggestions on cameras, packages/bundles, or anything I would be grateful. Thanks
Eamon ...

Hey Eamon,

First of all, what are you thinking of using the camera for? Photos or filming? I’m guessing that filming is your thing because you mentioned a camcorder. I don’t know a lot about video cameras, but I can help you out with DSLR’s.

Basically, the cheapest DSLR that records HD video is going to be around $450 retail price, and that will include a lens, battery and everything you need to go. This is the Canon 1100D, which records full HD and is perfect as an entry-level camera. You can hunt them down on eBay, but just remember that the ones you buy from Hong Kong or China might not have a valid warranty once you’ve imported them.

Another similar camera in the $400-$450 range is the Canon 500D. This camera has actually been replaced by a newer model, but you can still pick them up on eBay and in some camera stores. It has a very similar sensor and features to the 1100D.

As for a fisheye, you can go with one of two options. You can either get a screw on attachment, which will cost around $50-$100 and screws onto the kit lens, or you can get a proper lens which will set you back around $300 for the cheapest option, or a lot more for the expensive options.

I know it’s out of your price range, but an 1100D along with a Rokinon or Samyang 8mm fisheye will set you back around $750-$800 retail. It’s an extremely high quality setup, as even the cheapest entry-level DSLR has a huge sensor which means the video quality is extremely good. If you do end up going for the DSLR option, you probably won’t need to upgrade for a long time, and you’ll also have an extraordinary camera for photos, if you ever go down that path.

Hopefully I’ve been of some help! Let me know what you think.

If you get a DSLR for filming you will need to get a mount / rig to stabilize your shots so it’s not all shaky. You will find some DIY options online to save yourself some money as they are pricey buggers.

thankyou guys heaps for your help I took both youre advice and im now getting a Canon 1100D with a SCORPION X CAM CADDIE. THNAKS HEAPS camera  movie_camera  rocker  shaka  skate

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Enjoy mate! Can’t wait to see some edits.