The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Buying snowboard - help please!

Hi everyone
I’m going on my second snow holiday to Japan in January and want to buy my boyfriend a snowboard from Christmas.  He is intermediate and we would only get use every couple of years.
Has anyone got any tips on boards, boots and bindings?  Also where can I get a bargain online?

Thanks guys!!

Hey jsharpe, welcome to boardwoard
To give you any kind of advice we’ll need some info on him, weight, height, shoe size and how much time he’s spent on snow would be a good start

JB HiFi, about $20!!!

He will need to get boots from a store to get them fitted properly -DON’T BUY SNOWBOARD BOOTS ONLINE- maybe get him some store credit.
Boots are by far the most most important piece of equipment (good socks also). Be prepared to pay up to or over $500. They will likely be cheaper but it’s not an area worth skimping on. Skimp on anything else but not boots!

The boardworld socks are some of the best I’ve owned and not as pricey as other brands, have a look in the boardworld store.
https://www.boardworld.com.au/boardworld-gear

Are you going to be spending time in Tokyo or Osaka before you hit the snow?
If so, there is always the option to delay the purchase until you go there.
Prices are very reasonable in Japan for boots/boards.

Hey jsharpe, welcome to Boardworld! cool smile

As mentioned, we do need more information:

Boot size, height, weight, and your budget.

Don’t buy boots online. He needs to be fitted properly at a store.

I’m moving this thread to Equipment and Products.

Thanks everyone!

This is his 3rd time on a board in the snow. 

He is 5’10” (173cm) and he weighs about 75kg.

Sounds like we will definitely buy boots in store then.  Unfortunately we aren’t spending anytime in Tokyo or Osaka first so will have to buy here in Brisbane.

Do you know his approximate shoe/boot size? The waist width of the snowboard is determined by boot size.

Do you have a certain budget you’re trying to work with?

He is a 43 (size 10).

Definitely want to keep the cost down but am hoping to be guided a bit as to what I should expect to pay for fairly reasonable quality.

Seems it’s best to invest well in the boots and maybe save some dollars on the board?

Size 10 will fit on most standard boards. You shouldn’t have any problems.

That’s correct, it’s really important to get quality boots, fitted properly by a store.

There are a lot of end of winter sales right now, so you might even get lucky with the boots. My suggestion would be to visit your local store, so Snowbiz in Brisbane, and see what they have available. It looks like they have a decent variety of boards on sale as well. Maybe pop in there for a visit and feel free to ask us any specific questions on which boards would be most suitable etc.

You can also get your tax back at the airport when you leave for Japan through the TRS.

Thanks so much - appreciate the help!

No worries at all. Let us know if you have any questions.