The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with new set up

Hi there,

I´m skating for a while and until now, I used to skateboarding on some shitty pre-assembled sets. But now, I want something more serious, so I decided to create my new set up by myself, but I´m not really confident with my knowledge.

I´m thinking about:

Deck - Enjoi or Plan B - Probably aroud 8‘ (I´m over 6 ft. tall and I have 12 foot)
Trucks - Independent STage IX polished standard 139
Wheels - Ricta - 53/55 mm, hard one
Bearings -  Some ABEC 7

Please, can you write down your ideas about this set up and of course some tips or better alternatives? I prefer street and flat skating.

Thanks a lot!

Personally, I’d go a wider deck. I have a size 11 foot and I’m currently skating an 8.38. It’s really all personal preference though. If you get a wider deck you’ll want slightly wider trucks as well. Everything else seems fine.

Edit: Can’t go wrong with Reds for bearings, awesome value for money. I’d also go with the 53mm wheels.

Welcome to BW mate!

I totally agree with Koper. 8’ is gonna be way too small for someone your height and foot size.
Start with at least an 8.25 to start with. Maybe even an 8.31/8.38 (brand depending) or 8.5. Go into a store and ask to stand on those size decks to see how they feel.

Trucks, Indys are awesome. But size again, go bigger. Go with 1.49 at least for those bigger deck sizes.

For street skating stick to around 52/53mm wheels

Thanks for advices guys!

About that deck size. I read some tutorials and majority of them quoted, that deck bigger than 8 isn´t good for street riding. So do you think, that it will be okay? I found 8,25 Almost and Enjoi deck with great prizes and I also started to be courious about Polar decks.

I know a lot of sponsored skaters in Melbourne (i mean they actually skate for a living) and most of them skate 8 and above.

Its very much a generalization. Look at the pro decks. Most are 8-8.5. Stree guys usually around 8.25
But it all comes down to persoal preference. Just think 8.25 will suit ur size 12 feet much better

Hey woczlf,
Sorry for the late reply but my internet was down.
Mate in regards to choosing a set up you need to really experiment with things. Having a bigger deck helps with bigger feet as you have more of a platform to stand on. I know some young guys that have been skating on 8.25 and only a 7us feet. Not just skating them but shredding the hell out of them.
Decks have a few different specs that will affect the performance. When you have a long wheel base that will be harder with the tech side, but more stable.
In terms of the width I am also going to say start with 8.25, it might feel big at the start but you will soon get use to it. The advantage is too you will need to go with trucks that are slightly bigger, so if you need to go with a bigger deck you have the proper width trucks. Definitely looking at 149 for the width.
For wheels the size is good for street 52mm. Ricta though I haven’t heard anything good about them really. Haven’t skated them personally but guys I know that have weren’t impressed.
Bearings wise Bones Reds are great for the price.

Where abouts are you based mate?

Hey, np…

I´m really glad, that there are some people willing to help. I visited local skate shop and I have admit, that 8,25 looks as optimal choice. Do you have some experience with Polar boards? That designs are really sick!

Btw. at least I´ll take some bones wheels.

I haven’t had experience with the Polar decks but it is always worth trying new stuff out to be honest.
Bones wheels are great wheels they are a worthwhile product, same as the bearings as well as their bushings.
Anymore question don’t hesitate to ask we are here to help.

All right,

I want to thank you all for help. I bought everything besides Trucks. I´m little bit confused about their height. I´m considering this one. BUt I´m not sure. I think, that width will be good for 8.25 deck.

The 139 size is a good size for the 8.25 deck. In terms of the height of the trucks the difference between lows and highs, is with lows they are more stable and have a lower centre of gravity and tend to be used by street skaters more often than not. Highs offer you more turning ability and better wheel clearance. Personally I prefer highs more than lows, but that is me personally.
Hope this helps you decision.

P.S. Change the bushings at the start with Bones bushings to get the best feel out of your truck.