The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

I Really Can’t Ollie!

Hey guys, it’s been 2 weeks since I got my board, and I learned how to push, turn and stop(with my foot, not tailsliding) properly. I also learned how to ollie quite high in stationary and I get them down almost every time( about 80%). Now it’s been three days since I thought that I should learn how to ollie while moving(or rolling) my skateboard and it is impossible!! I tried and tried but I don’t get it down!! This is what I do:
I push my skateboard (2-3 pushes)
Then I bend my knees which sometimes causes me to fall forward or makes me stagger a lot
I pop the tail then the board slides away from me when my front foot slides

Sometimes it’s like I can’t ollie at all because I don’t even pop the tail which causes me to fall =(

Please I really need help with ollie while moving..on youtube there are few tutorials and it looks easy, but it’s not.

Could anyone help me out???
Thanks guys

Hey man,

Have you watched our trick tip yet?

It sounds like you need more practise.

When you are practising stationary, are you on concrete or carpet/grass etc? If you’re practising on carpet, remember it’s always harder on a smooth surface like concrete, so use this as a learning step. First get your ollies super solid on carpet, then stationary on concrete, then rolling slowly.

Honestly, three days is nothing when it comes to practising and mastering a skateboard trick. Keep at it and it will come. Make sure you get a good snap on the tail. It also sounds like your timing is off a little. Keep practising. smile

I would say also mess around. learn to turn really big, ride at fast speeds, be able to do squats on the board as you roll, just get your balance solid

Thanks for replying and I ollie on concrete on stationary. The only problem is that when I move slowly my board just flies away from me and I’m having problems while crouching because it causes me to fall off or stagger. And yh I watched the trick tip..he makes it look so easy!! lol

Hey Ardent
You’re right, learning to ollie isn’t easy. I’m a snowboarder so it’s extra weird for me to learn without my feet attached to the board. Because of this, flat land tricks are the hardest part of skating to me. But I’m getting there slowly.

Here’s my advice:
You can ollie stationary, that’s good. But if you try to rush into doing them rolling or over an object/up a gutter, you will just get frustrated.

Instead, take super small steps. this way you will be able to make progress and feel good about it. If you try anything in skating that you’re not confident doing, your body will just not make the right movements. (Like when you try to ollie and the tail doesn’t even hit the ground).

- So, try taking one push, and as your board is slowing down to a stop, THEN OLLIE.
- Once you can land that, take a push and ollie sooner, while you’re rolling a bit faster.
- Then take 2 pushes and ollie.
- Then try and ollie over a join in the pavement
- Then do a manual off a curb
- Then try an ollie off that curb

See what I mean? Lots of little steps will get you there, trying to be good at it straight away will get you no where (believe me, i tried LOL )
Learning to ollie was the most frustrating thing for me, cause it looks so easy. But you will get there man, just practice everyday and push yourself to do one little step everyday or so.

Thanks man! I think your advice seems to be the best!! I can’t wait to practice today! If I got any problem I’ll post it but as you guys said, I just need practice. Thank you for all the advices

Your welcome bro, happy to help.
Also, there is a thread in here called the “Skater Progress Thread”. When you make some progress in your ollies, or you land a new trick,  or any kind of progress in your skating, post it up in there.
We want to hear all about it, and all the skaters here will give you props and maybe some suggestions for what to learn next.

Keep Rolling shaka

Hey mate, all the advice the others have given is going to be super helpful in getting your ollies on lock.

If you post a video of you trying moving ollies it will give us more to work with.

When you say the board flys away from you, which way do you mean?

Like the others said, just do it in small steps and gradually go from stationary to little bit of movement to rolling. Rockenpunk is spot on with the adivce about gettin used to riding at speeds, squating on the baord and turns. the more you cruise around the more comfortable you will be with moving your body around on the board.

Make sure when you pop and jump, you actually jump with the board. So dont just jump straight up, I try to jump in the direction im moving as well. I find this helps me keep the board under my feet, not just with ollies, but other tricks too.
Let us know how it goes!

Hey guys today I might have learned how to ollie!! I’m now looking forward to jump over something, but for this week I’ll just practice it. My problem was that I was too scared to jump forward, but I don’t know why today I was a bit crazy lol, and tried them and I was firstly having some difficulties on landing, but then I got and landed them quite decently. Also at my local skatepark a guy helped me. The only thing is, I rode my board while the ground was a bit wet (at the skatepark) and my griptape was dirty and wet (really wet) at the same time. Also will it ruin my bearings or trucks or wheels??

Thanks anyway for the advices man! Keep skateboarding!!

Hey Ardent,
Skating is the foundation of skating tricks and can take time to master. I remember it took me ages to start landing ollies up curbs, would constantly step of the board and so forth. It takes time and patience to get right on top of skating. More time on the board also leads to more confidence on the board.
What Andy said about practising trick at a slower pace is so true, then building up from there when your get the control and confidence.
With your griptape getting wet that is fine its the griptape. To clean it just get a damp sponge and dab it dry. With your bearings just dry them off as soon as you can when they get wet, just don’t leave them wet. If need be relube them with some speed cream. Just make sure you remove the bearing shield before doing so.

Hey guys. I was just wondering how to land properly an ollie. I know how to pop, jump and slide my front foot, but then when it comes to land it it’s a bit difficult…I most of the time land with my feet in the bolts, but then I loose control causing me to go off the board. Any tip??

Landing bolts is great mate keep that up. Landing bolts means you are landing correctly and in the future less likely to snap decks.
The main thing when landing is making sure that you are also landing with you feet centred on the board. Not hanging over the toe side or heel side too much. Makes all the difference with the control side of things. If you are still struggling with this you may need to tighten you trucks a little bit to give you some more stability.