The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Banana boards Vs Magnetraction

Enn Zed - 29 June 2009 01:08 AM

Come to Montreal, you can demo my 52!

We have a couple friends in common that know you well enough to show me that you would follow through with that.
That a super cool offer, but there’s no way I could.
Baby on the way in less than 2 months, so wifey couldnt come. hopefully to buy another home = no $.
I know it would be a great trip though.

I rode the Burton fix, and thats the only boad I can really for an opinion on. It’szero camber and has some other interesting base / contact point changes. it diddnt hold edge well at all, but nice for freestyle. getting down the hill to the park lead for not-so-fun turns down the hill. thats just my opinion. with such major changes and differences in boards these days, there is even a longer road to finding a board that does it all. If that is even possible anymore.

I don’t know, I think the industry has lead us to this ‘requirement’ for many different boards for different conditions. For most people, one board will still do it all. Can I ride pow, park, and rail groomers on my banana? Yes, but I can do all of that on my Trice. I can do it all on my 1998 Rippey too. I can nosepress on my Raven 163 (4cm shorter than I am). I’ve even taken my Mullet “powder board” through the park for some fun.

Nowadays I think we have so much choice that we’re too picky. Watching some old vids (something I regularly do) reminds me it truly is more about the rider than that board.

Enn Zed - 29 June 2009 01:30 AM

I don’t know, I think the industry has lead us to this ‘requirement’ for many different boards for different conditions. For most people, one board will still do it all. Can I ride pow, park, and rail groomers on my banana? Yes, but I can do all of that on my Trice. I can do it all on my 1998 Rippey too. I can nosepress on my Raven 163 (4cm shorter than I am). I’ve even taken my Mullet “powder board” through the park for some fun.

Nowadays I think we have so much choice that we’re too picky. Watching some old vids (something I regularly do) reminds me it truly is more about the rider than that board.

It is refreshing to hear that be said. I agree with you.
I too think that with so many options it has only lead us to believe (from good marketing) that we need one of every type of board.
True we soon forget the days where there wasnt all these different types of boards.

Yeah, I was SUPER into the tech before I took some time off to live the shred lifestyle. I mean, I never really believed all the hype but I was the “wax/tune your boards at home every week” type weekend warrior, ‘needed’ outerwear that was ultra-mega-super waterproof etc.

Then I just went snowboarding. Simple. All the tech and the planning and the gear and the resort marketing and the industry hype seem to fade away when you’re about to drop. I think it was Jeremy Jones (big mountain) that said the most complicated part of what he does is getting to the top of the face. Once he’s strapped in, everything is simple.

I can ride powder on my park board. I can ride park on my powder board. I can ride waist deep powder in denim snowboard pants. Fine, they get a little bit wet by the end of the day, but it didn’t affect how the day turned out at all and how big the smile on my face was. I didn’t have all my waxing tuning gear with me and even if I did, I didn’t have anywhere to set it up. I couldn’t justify paying someone at a shop to wax/tune my board so I just left it for long periods of time. Wax makes a bit of difference, but really, all you need to do is turn less!

Now I look at most new stuff with the “oh, that’s interesting, I might give that a try if I get a chance” point of view versus “OMFG it will change shredding as we know it I must have it”.

Fuck I’m a hippie, maybe that’s why I’ve tried telemarking in the past few years too :D

Now see, that is a point of view we will see more of as the consumer base matures. It will take a different type of marketing to brainwash us. (I use that expression loosely).
But really I’ve fell for a lot of the marketing too. Felt like I needed to be on the next best thing all the time. and when you see so many things sold as TECH that are really gimmicks, they fade after another season or two.

length, stiffness and… oh s*** wrong forum!  nah if you get the right lenght, style and stiffness of deck then and you’ll be there or there abouts for the majority of the time.
What i think is good these days is the board catogory ‘all mountain’, rides switch ok, has a good alround flex and can be ridden in the park, off the tracks or on the groomers. boards like the uninc (is this park technically?) are really good alround and i’m pretty sure there are lots of similar models from all the companys.