The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Griptape: do you need much “grip”?

I’ve been debating on exclusively buying cheap grip or paying a bit more for the high quality kind.

Cheap grip
So basically what’s good and bad about it is as follows. Its cheap, but won’t last as long. If you are spending more on buying sheet after sheet, then it might start to drain your money. On the plus side, your shoes will last a lot longer. If you’re spending more on grip than you would shoes, then again, not worth it. The board won’t stick with you as much, you’ll have to rely on the shape of the board more to flick or spin.

Quality grip
Its gonna eat your shoes for sure, but the board will stay with you as you pop. You won’t have to buy as often, and eventually, it will degrade to the level of cheap grip. Again, put into perspective how often you need to buy shoes, seeing as replacing grip most likely won’t be needed.

In both cases, you need to average how long your board lasts. If you are snapping a board a month or every couple weeks, then I would recommend cheap grip.

Anyways, thoughts on this?

I reckon skating a board with good grip is heaps better, to me it feels like you have heaps more control.

If I was you I’d get a decent board with good grip. (ps congrats on the 24 board that coming your way! grin )

For the shoes getting destroyed problem try using Shoe Goo, or silicone. (Stuff used for building/roofing etc. probably cheaper.)

Although I don’t skate, good grip and even shoes that allow better grip (ie Suede) allows for better control of your board!!!!!

Not sure that there’s much cost difference in cheap compared to the better quality anyways?????

What’s the cost difference over where you are, Rocken?????

Don’t get cheap stuff. It will wear badly and the glue will be shit and it will peel.

Get good grip and if you dot like it super corse the once its on use the excess cut off to sand it down a bit

Koper - 03 October 2012 10:57 PM

I reckon skating a board with good grip is heaps better, to me it feels like you have heaps more control.

If I was you I’d get a decent board with good grip. (ps congrats on the 24 board that coming your way! grin )

For the shoes getting destroyed problem try using Shoe Goo, or silicone. (Stuff used for building/roofing etc. probably cheaper.)

Oh yes, shoe goo is my friend. I guess grip itself isn’t too bad, $6 a sheet, but shoes are $50 bucks. Im not really a rich kid lol, work and school.

Go start sweepin floors/cleanin windows at ya local Skate Shop?????

If they don’t pay ya, they might look after ya with a good discount on new shoes?????

The closest skate shop is about 45 minutes away lol.

Right now I am a gymnastics coach, been doing this for 5 years. I work about 14 hours a week, $8 am hour. So im making around $400 a month. I’m also fully enrolled in college, working towards my degree in audio engineering. Books were expensive, and gas is also a pocket robber. So I do understand the need for a job, I just can’t spend my money on skate stuff too often lol. Thanks for the ideas though smile

Is it worth it to get shoes from a goodwill or a Ross?

Never underestimate good grip. I have been on Modus grip for the last few years and have been very happy with it. It grips without ripping the rear end out of your shoes.

TOP TIP: If you need to keep your grip tape as fresh as possible, especially with good grip tape. Dab over your griptape with a wet sponge and let it dry out. Gets rid of the dirt in your grip that is a killer for grip you need and also the life span of your grip.

In regards to the shoe side of things. Always buy proper skate shoes they are designed for skating and will generally hold up better than non skate shoes. They may cost more but with good suede and rubber backing you can’t go wrong. For durablity though leather is the best option, takes longer to break in and doesn’t grip as well. Despite that it will last you a lot longer.

2 brands I found that have lasted me are Fallen and DC. Check the thread on choosing shoes as well Rocken.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3840/

Good shoe thread! I misunderstood the vulconized part, I always thought that those were the big shoes. Anyways, yeah new shoes are awesome, I can’t lie

I usually get some decent grip and then rub it back with a new deck with the excess cuts. I don’t want to buy shoes every 2 months.

There is products like this available to keep your grip fresh

Grip gum? looks like a rough sponge. Is that what it is?

I have never used it but its more like an eraser you use to draw with. I have seen similar product used and had decent ratings.

I still don’t mind cleaning my grip with a sponge works fine for me.

Ive heard of guys putting paper towels on their grip, spraying a window cleaner over it, and then stepping on the board to push the cleaner in.

Interesting, only thing is wouldn’t the paper towel get stuck all in the grit. Or that could just be cheap paper towel.

I have never re-gripped a board usually they wear out before I need to do any maintenance on the grip.