The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

advice please - snowboard size

Ok so I’m not sure where else to post this but I’m sure here is pretty fitting.

I went boarding at Buller last season for my first time and absolutely loved it and can’t wait to go back this year. I already have 2 trips planned.

While looking to buy a board most people suggested a shorter board (154) I’m about 6"1 and weight 75kg. When i hired a board they insist on a longer board. I’m not sure how long but it was chin high on me so maybe around 161.

Can some one please shed some light on why both suggestions are completely different?

Hey 10000_fists, welcome to Boardworld!

Firstly, most workers in rental departments at the snow don’t know much about what they’re doing. I hate to be negative but I’ve seen it with my own eyes on many occasions. They see so many people come in and out with snowboards, they really don’t have the time, care, or knowledge to ask the right questions. They don’t take the time to make sure you get on the best board for your weight, experience, and riding style. The reason you were probably given such a big board when you hired is because you are tall. They use height as a guide to determine what board size you should be on. However this is the wrong way to determine board size. Weight is much more of a factor than height.

That said, every snowboarder can comfortably ride a certain range of snowboard sizes. Each size will offer a particular advantage and disadvantage, depending on their riding style and the snow conditions.

Generally speaking, a longer snowboard is better for freeriding (carving, riding natural terrain, riding fast, powder etc…). A longer board offers more stability; you will notice this mostly when riding at speeds, carving, landing big jumps, or riding powder. A longer board also offers more float in powder (board shape will also make a difference). A disadvantage of a longer board is the fact it is less maneuverable than a shorter snowboard.

A shorter board is more maneuverable, but less stable than a longer board. A shorter board is easier/quicker to turn, easier to spin, and easier to press. As a snowboarder progresses, it is likely they will want to learn freestyle at some point. Shorter boards are really fun for freestyle, which is why most people would suggest you try something shorter.

You need to honestly ask yourself a few questions…

Where will you be riding mainly? (Australian hardpack or deep Japan powder etc…)

What is your riding style? What aspects of snowboarding do you really enjoy? (i.e. freeriding, powder, park, or a bit of everything etc…)

What is your current ability? How many days a season do you plan on riding?

If you can answer those questions, it will be easier to decide which board and size would best suit you.

Have a read of the Board Selection article  and the Board Characteristics article on Boardworld. There is a lot of good information in there.

I hope I cleared a few things up for you. If you have any questions at all, please let me know. I hope you have a great season! smile

If you’re still relatively new to boarding, you might be better going for something half way. I’m the same height as you and a few kilos heavier, and I ride a 157. When I was starting out I got given a really short board by someone at a rental store - it was unridable, you’d just spin out if you got any speed at all.

Get something that’s a good all rounder to start with and you won’t go wrong!

It also depends on the technology of the board.  If you can afford to buy something with reverse camber (rocker) then you can ride a shorter board.  This is because the board naturally wants to float to the surface in fresh snow.  This is why a lot of people are riding shorter boards.  Also shorter boards are more manueverable and generally more fun than a longer board.  Personally I’d much rather ride a shorter board and just set the bindings back a bit on a pow day if I have to.  But choose a rocker board and you won’t even need to worry about that. 

Also, I’d probably listen to shop staff over rental staff.  Shop staff are generally more knowledgeable on newer technologies and I believe they have ridden more and for longer, hence more experience.

But from the sound of your size and weight, I think anything from a 154-157 would be perfect.  !61 is way too big and would hinder your progression.

Good luck

Whilst we’re on the topic of board sizes.. I was wondering if someone can help me out a little with a couple of my boards.

I’m pretty confident on the board size I prefer, but I have two spare boards now that I want to lend to some mates for a trip we’ve got coming up. However, I don’t know which mates to lend my boards to based on sizes.

I have an 06/07 Ride Crush 155 and an 08/09 Ride Prophet 158
I know that both these boards are probably not ideal for beginners, but we’re trying to do this trip on a budget smile

I was thinking 70-75kg for the 155 Crush, and 75-80kg for the 158 Prophet.
I looked at a few sizing charts online and the above weight ranges look reasonable.

Boot sizes I guess will probably need to be <11 US too

Some further advice would be greatly appreciated

Hey T-Spec, those boards will be fine for the weight ranges you specified (and even wider ranges). Do your friends fit in those weight ranges? Are they both beginners?

To 10000 fists, I am 6ft, 78kg and I ride a 154-156, for your height and weight, a 155 would be a good range but it also depends on your riding style. Rider 26 said it pretty well, no need to re-iterate on his post.

T-Spec, you will definitely need to make sure they are <11 US or they will toe drag every time they go toe side (for beginners, they probably won’t too much)
Definitely give the Crush to the smaller guy and the Prophet to the bigger guy, will make it more enjoyable for all involved.

Thanks to the replies guys, sounds like a plan to me.

Yeah, both my mates are beginners so this should be fun.

And thanks on the bootsize, I might be able to get away with a fraction larger on the prophet as it’s got Ride Nrc bindings on it, so the extra footpad adds a little height above the board. We’ll see, but like you said, doubtful they’ll spend much time on their heelside anyway.

Cheers

ay bro, im 6ft 2 and ride a 159 GNU, my forst deck was a ride 161 and the difference with the smaller deck is noticeable, i am going to get a 156 when i return to the US in December