The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Pre Season Training

you just stand on a leadge of some sort, with only your toes resting on said ledge.
Have your heels lower then the ledge, then raise up until your standing on tippy toes. hold for 2 seconds then slowly lower.

Wash, rinse & repeat.

They work the calves thats about it so it wont help your knees too much.
Then there are sitting calf raises and donkey calf raises, but the standing ones will do ya.

Oh right, yeah i’ve done those

Squats!!

I couldn’t believe how much difference doing squats made last season.

Walking lunges and burpees in combo with squats and some soft sand running and you’ll be ready!

Bad knee?

Swimming, bike, stretch your ITB & hip flexors.

Oh and get yourself a foam roller.

wink

nthnbeachesguy - 31 May 2012 07:40 AM

Walking lunges and burpees in combo with squats and some soft sand running and you’ll be ready!

all these things sound so painful, surely the pain from the first few days riding is nothing in comparison…..

Aidy - 02 June 2012 06:10 PM
nthnbeachesguy - 31 May 2012 07:40 AM

all these things sound so painful, surely the pain from the first few days riding is nothing in comparison…..

If you do them for a while you won’t have soreness after riding and you’ll be more agile.

Back against a wall knees at right angles, thighs horizontal - hold that position until your crying with pain (LITERALLY) - should take around 5mins to have you swearing and collapsed on the floor like you just competed in the top2bottom. Do three sets a day, stretch a lot. You will never have pain andwill be able to ride all day, everyday.

I never really have much pain from riding. I’m mostly just trying to strengthen all the muscles that support my joints.
Basically I’m just trying to minimize injury.
And a bit of fitness thrown in there.

yeah I haven’t had early season pain for years. But I’ve been out hitting all the mountain bike tracks around the area lately so that’s going to help me anyway. I had been running last month and for the first time ever I started watching what I ate. I’m just trying to strengthen muscles and joints and also increase flexibility to avoid injuries and a repeat of last season.

spaz - 03 June 2012 02:55 AM

Back against a wall knees at right angles, thighs horizontal - hold that position until your crying with pain (LITERALLY) - should take around 5mins to have you swearing and collapsed on the floor like you just competed in the top2bottom. Do three sets a day, stretch a lot. You will never have pain andwill be able to ride all day, everyday.

I’ve tried that one Spaz, I believe it’s very popular in Guantanamo…..

@Spaz - Haha yeh im not fond of those, we had to do them with a 20kg plate over our heads…