The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Online Shopping

C J Parker - 02 June 2010 10:29 AM
Trav Laird - 02 June 2010 07:05 AM

You post a very valid question….

The best answer is that Australian distributors buy from Manufacturers at the same price of American retailers. However, the Australian distributor is also responsible for shipping cost, import tax, GST, advertising, warranties and repairs and the fact that they have a small window of opportunity to make money enough to cover them for costs of the year. I’ll be honest with you and say that distributors rarely make more than 30% on everything they import. Most import and manage brands because they love it, and yes some do make an ok living from it, but none of them exploit their fellow riders to make themselves a fortune. Most of them are just common snowboarders like everyone on here. So why not support them by supporting the local shops and the fellow riders that they all employ.

Or you could just give your money to an online international retailer owned by non-snowboarders and contribute to destroying the australian snowboard retail industry and the people that struggle to make a living from it….

Distributors also need to cover warranties from their own pocket. So if overseas boards need warranties they can’t cover that and the boards they buy. These things contribute to costs as well.
The sad thing is that most board manufacturers don’t sell direct to the distributors in Australia, they have to purchase from wholesalers in America. There is so much back and forth that also adds to the cost. The dollar being strong is one thing but taxes and transport are another. TRAV has been covering these important points well.
Some distributors struggle immensely and if they didn’t love the sport would seriously have packed up and left years ago.
Retailers are provided a recommended retail price and if you think they are laughing at you as they stuff their pockets with cash think again. They have their own overheads to cover and staff to pay. Without board shops in Australia where are you going to go for tune ups and accessories or that possible warranty.

Asked myself the same question, but only came to the conclusion that the warranty, shipping cost, import tax and the GST where the main factors for the price difference. But the difference is still a lot. Don’t forget you still need to purchase boots, bindings and gear which also have a similar price difference, overall I can understand why people are a little disgruntled when they look at the Northern Hemisphere market.

I love and support the australian snowboard industry but be realistic about the buyers, if they can find a cheaper deal overseas online then you shouldn’t judge them for making a ‘smarter purchase’.

It is an unfortunate thing that faces us. What we need to realise is before the Internet came along would we be complaining about prices? Those distributors that have paved the way for us to get our product for years on end, putting a lot of hard work into establishing brands here, are now faced with a problem. Support for them is going and people still want them to work hard to bring product in so they can see it and feel it to make their purchase online.
If people want to feel a product they should be prepared to pay for all the hard work that goes into getting them the product here. I know there is a price difference but if we don’t support our scene we won’t have on years down the track. The shops you get to chill at and talk about product and riding that you have been doing, won’t be around or will have to dump snow products all together.
Other things with online is the fact that you don’t really know what your getting. A factory second which is usually an ill finished product. Wrong sizes being sent out or wrong product. The back up services for these kind of issues is not there most of the time. they don’t really care either they now have your money. Don’t be fooled by the first part of the money saved. With a shop you are taking the product that you have been shown home.

I can understand people making a decision to purchase online and save money.  I just think they should keep in mind how this contributes negatively to the Australian retail industry. 

But to be honest I don’t blame people for a ‘smarter purchase’.  What does make me extremely angry is when people spend the shop’s time trying on everything and squeezing information out of shop staff in order to make shop decisions.  I see it happen first hand all the time.  If you are going to purchase online then you should accept the risk with it and not abuse the shop and their staff.

I also agree with CJ Parker, a lot of companies offload ‘B’ quality product to shoddy online retailers that aesthetically look and feel fine.  But a month or so down the track you’ll be wondering why your tail just folded underneath you on that powder day!!  The worst thing is that at this stage most people attempt to get onto the Australian distributor for warranties….

Trav Laird - 03 June 2010 12:19 AM

I also agree with CJ Parker, a lot of companies offload ‘B’ quality product to shoddy online retailers that aesthetically look and feel fine.  But a month or so down the track you’ll be wondering why your tail just folded underneath you on that powder day!!  The worst thing is that at this stage most people attempt to get onto the Australian distributor for warranties….

wow, that’s quite the claim! Do you have any stats to back that up?

Also, online retailers do offer warranties. It’s just the $100 in shipping it will cost you to send it to them to get evaluated that’s the killer.  but that’s just one of the things you have to decide when purchasing. Is that warranty worth spending the extra cash?

Gamblor, I’ve seen it many times in my years working in a snowboard store. I guess when you are in that environment and you deal with customers bringing in ‘warranty claims’ so often, you get a different perspective on things. Snowboards with factory defects, missing parts, wrong graphics, ‘second’ stamped on the base ect… they all come through the doors on a regular basis, all of them purchased online. Of course the stores here won’t and can’t warranty those claims, but believe me online stores send out snowboards and other hardware like that. I’m guessing it happens more to Australian buyers, because the overseas online retailers know it’s harder for them to send back the products and fight the warranty claim.

did those people mention which site they got it from?

Sometimes… usually they just say online or from the USA. I’ve seen a lot of bad product come from Sierra.

that’s not surprising

Nope I don’t have any stats or info.  My information is merely gathered from observation from working in snowboard stores based in Australia.

Anyway, bring on the snow!  I am dying to shred!

Trav Laird - 03 June 2010 02:38 AM

Anyway, bring on the snow!  I am dying to shred!

X2 cool grin