The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Really Bad Ankle Bone Pain, Need advice.

If it is just bad bruising, there is no harm in using ice. Ice is especially useful in acute situations, but I’m sure you’re aware, ice aids in reducing inflammation. If your ankle looked like the one you posted, there is obvious swelling as well as bruising, so ice would be great. I also find ice useful for pain, as it can numb the area and dull the pain. Although I hope this does not happen again, just for your own knowledge- compression with a bandage may also be useful initially, and ‘hirudoid’ is a great topical cream for bruising, as is ‘orodus gel’ for swelling.
At the end of the day, your correct in saying ‘rest’ (depending on diagnosis!) I’d still get it seen to though…

Hi becky thanks again, that is an actual photo of my ankle but fortunately it’s calmed down a fair bit since then. I appreciate all of your advice.

Moving this to Health and Fitness.

Let us know how it goes, drc13. Hopefully getting the boots manipulated will make a noticeable difference.

Well I popped into STM Bondi Junction and had a chat with Darren on Sunday.

He was fantastic and has given me some hope that one day I’ll have pain free riding.

Basically I have a nightmare foot to fit, I have very prominant ankle bones but a very skinny ankle structure that doesn’t match the length of my foot (there goes my dreams of being a foot model)

For now he has punched out the shell of the left boot on the inside ankle bone and we heat molded the boots with foam padding taped to my ankle bone (which has now left more space in the liner for my ankle bone. While I was there we also installed the superfeet green insoles that I had already pre-purchased which really hurt the soles of my feet when I tried them on but I’ve heard that’s somewhat normal initially.

He said it is probably still going to be work in progress and it could take a few attempts to get it right. The trick is going to be finding out if it’s fixed before I hopefully head to Japan in January. I’m giving the ankle a rest for the week (the prodding and fitting flared it up again) and after that I might put the boots on and walk around the appartment for a while.

Thanks again for the advice fingers crossed this is the solution!

Thanks for the update, drc13. Hopefully this will address the problem and you will be pain free for January. Keep us posted.