The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Early Aus season 2012 snow predictions

Had a glance over at the weather nerd threads at ski.com.au.  General feeling is it will be a decent season, maybe a little better than last year.  La Nina is over, so it will probably be a bit drier, but also hopefully a bit colder.

Seein as though the only stint I’m havin will be the Shred in September!!!!!

June/July/August/October will be amazing!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute!!!!!!

How come the spam filter didn’t pick up that hyper link?????  hmmm

Maybe the filter is off?

La Nina is over?? Damn. I didn’t know that.
What are they calling the new weather pattern? And what are the effects supposed to be?

Andy the patterns are La Nina and El Nino. I think we fall in between them for a few years now if I remember correctly smile

any call this early is simply bullshit.

i dont believe any weather report more than 5 days in advance

deanobruce - 08 April 2012 11:28 AM

They can’t even get that right

I’m with Deano. I believe it when I see it.

TJswish - 08 April 2012 11:12 AM

Andy the patterns are La Nina and El Nino. I think we fall in between them for a few years now if I remember correctly smile

Yep, they are saying “neutral” in terms of the Southern Oscillation Index.

100% true, however the end of La Nina is likely to have a bearing on the season.  The reason it is hard to predict actual snowfall is that during winter, small localised weather events can block incoming cold fronts and prevent snow dumps.  Those events are hard to predict even a few days out.

For the last 4 years we keep slipping back into la nina within a few months.

I’ve never heard a prediction in April that hasn’t said this year will be good.

When snow blankets the mountains in two weeks (just after the new moon) the call will be early season. That will melt but the eastern sea board will have all thoughts on a snowy winter.
Come Mid June everyone will be saying this season is a fizzer because there is no decent cover and all open area’s are on man made (but good man made).
Mid July they will be saying it’s the best season ever.
Mid August the call will be that it’s finished early.

Folklore will tell us because Lake Eyre is full it will be a good snow year. La Nina - blah blah.
News papers will quote Pete"the frog"Tayler as predicting a “bumper” season.

Whatever you do; follow riders example - believe only what you see. Not what the news and weather man report. And especially not what the resorts say.

Find an honest source of info.

Yep I will believe it when I see it but I also like to have a little fun with it as well.

I think this quote from MountainWatch is what its all about - have fun and a bit of a guessing game.

2012 in a nutshell
Take everything we’ve just seen, shake vigorously, add a pinch of optimism and here’s a forecast for this winter:
Warmer than normal conditions will contribute to a reasonably slow start, with the usual nerves in June. Warm, humid conditions could also cause problems for snow-making.
The first decent 30cm+ storm will occur in July.
Spencer’s Creek snow depth to break one metre by late-July, and to top out at 170cm.

Read more: http://www.mountainwatch.com/Features/10126191/SNOW-SEASON-OUTLOOK-2012-Australia#ixzz1rUgxu8TD

A warm winter would be so unfair! The last summer was so lame, rainy and cold nearly always (especially in the Blue Mountains). At least winter could be cold too!

Hells yes Dan,

I can can cope with a cold summer if it means we get a cold winter!!

Cold summer/warm winter will be just cruel!!

I don’t trust those kind of predicts in the long forecast, a fisherman as myself I know for sure with a or 2 days forecast… wink