The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

replacement for loved board

Had a rossi one magtek and loved it. It has been rooted in a service so i now need to get a new board. Options that are available that i have seen are

- yes the greats
- jones twin mountain (quite pricey though)
- gnu riders choice/carbon credit
- batelion goliath

Ride NZ, mainly north island ie ruapehu (= ice). Dont do any park stuff or jumps, just like to cruise around on groomers and off piste. Likei said loved the rossi, great all round board that stuck to the ice like velcro.

Any thought or comments on the above.

Cheers

Hey @Globe,

Those are some nice boards you’ve mentioned. The YES. Greats is a personal favourite of mind. Do you know which year/model it is?

The Mountain Twin is another awesome board. If it’s significantly more than the Greats, go for the Greats.

And I know @Mattaleon swears by the Goliath, so maybe he can tell you more about that one.

Cheers @rider26 . Theyre both 17’s

The thing that puts me off the greats is the lack of mag traction, really found that good on the Rossi (and useful for north island NZ).

Price difference is about 50nzd)

No worries, @Globe.

They are both awesome boards. If you want Magne-Traction the Mountain Twin would be the way to go. The Greats has an asymmetrical sidecut AND flex… rides amazingly (but no Magne-Traction as you pointed out). Comes down to personal preference.

Hey @Globe

I’ve been riding Ruapehu for 20 years, the Goliath 157 is my weapon for most days if not I ride the Jam 159. They both hold well on ice, but since you keep mentioning mag I feel you want the extra grip that it provides.

Thing to remember is that the Goliath is full camber so has great edge pressure at the contact points tip and tail, where a rocker would have a bit less, so the edge control tech is less important on a full camber. That’s why your full camber + mag rossi ‘sticks like velcro’. I personally am not a fan of so much grip all the time, the mellow mag on the Jones is nice and it has longer rocker zones in the nose and tail, also has a new spoon shape at tip and tail (1617 model onwards).

In short they are all great boards for all mountain riding (I’d stay away from the Carbon Credit though, too much rocker and soft, great first board) but you’ll know which ‘feel’ suits your style the best.

The secret with Bataleon is that you have full camber power, pop and most importantly stability… but with no ‘edge catch’ consequences on mixed terrain at high speed. Flat base and charging it’s amazing, and edge to edge transitions smooth as silk. I’m on the Jam 159 at Turoa on the Glacier in my avatar pic, I ride all conditions from Turoa chicken heads of death to pow on that and the Goliath. I’m 78kg / 5’9 btw.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Consider grabbing something by Slash, they make awesome boards! I currently ride a Happy Place and it’s incredibly versatile. Similar magnetraction to the Jones (one slight bump in the middle) but the camber profile is what helps it grip. It’s really responsive and super poppy, but playful enough to butter around.