The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Pow - all around board - suggestions please!

Ok here goes!

I’m looking for something to take to Japan in Feb and ride pow with…but the board also needs to slay carves on groomers, ride switch ok and not let me down going off when I really put it through its paces in the park going off some lame sized jumps and really wide boxes.

I’m only going to take one board so a straight out POW machine is out, I reckon.

My feet are about a US7 and I’m 78kgs

Last year, for our maiden trip to Japan, I took my 150cm Arbor Draft (my only board atm) and I could feel the reverse camber doing its thing but I think it was too short. I’d float a bit and then nose-dive. This happened heaps. It was almost like I was rocking up and down and was fighting not to nose-dive on the down part.
At the time, I thought it was because I was terrible at riding powder and that may have had something (e.g. a lot) to do with it - but looking back, I think a better pow board would have helped a load. For starters, I’m already at the top end of the weight range for a board that short.

So I’m looking for suggestions…I’ll need a few to choose from as I’ll be having to find one at a cheap price.

All thoughts welcome. Cheers!

Initial thoughts and questions:

Have you tried setting your stance back? i.e. 1-2 inches? Simple fix that could save you purchasing a new board. It definitely gives you more float. Just putting it out there. That said, the Draft really isn’t geared for deep pow, especially at that size.

Would you consider something like the YES. 20/20? I know this is an expensive board but is this the type of snowboard that would appeal to you? I keep coming back to this option as it ticks every box. It basically rides like a twin freestyle board in the park and on groomers, but floats like a powder board—in both directions! This is why I bought one for myself. Granted, it’s expensive so probably rules this option out.

I would also consider boards like the YES Hel and Jones Twin Sister. Neither of these boards are pow/freeride specific, but they are super versatile. I think the Hel in particular would be super nice in powder because of the directional CamRock. You would want the 152 size. Carving, park, switch, pow… will do it all.

I guess you have two options considering that you don’t want a pow-specific board (which I can completely understand considering you’re only taking one board):

1. A freestyle-orientated board that handles powder better than your Draft 150, such as the YES Hel (and a lot of other options on the market). I know you like Arbor, so I’d encourage you to look at the Arbor Swoon as it covers pow, all-mountain, and park quite well. Certainly more than your draft. You could also look at the men’s Arbor Element. I’m guessing this is more what you want?

2. A freeride/pow-oriented board that is versatile enough to ride a bit of switch and park. This option is less flooded on the market and generally more expensive but there are some good options out there. Something like the Arbor Shreddy Krueger comes to mind, or even something like the Salomon Pillow Talk.

(You could technically call both of these options “all-mountain” but I think it’s better to separate them for the purpose of honing in on exactly the type of board you need/want).

Have a think about it and really try to pin down the exact type of board you want, let me know, and we can continue this discussion.

hmm so much to think about!

If I don’t end up finding a suitable board, I’ll definitely just take the draft again and set it back.

What size would I ride a 20/20 at? Do you generally ride them shorter like a Nug etc? I couldn’t see anything about that in the description.

The more I read about the 20/20 - the more I want one! Looks amazing!

Although I’m slightly worried that I’d not be good enough to ride it… gulp

What size would I ride a 20/20 at? Do you generally ride them shorter like a Nug etc? I couldn’t see anything about that in the description.

@cords, yes, you ride them significantly shorter. The 2016 model came in 146 and 150. For 2017, they upped the sizes to 150 and 154. I am 65kg and I rode the 146 in deep pow no problem, however, I decided to get the 150. Overall, I think it will just perform a bit better for how I ride, but I easily could have gone for the 146. I usually ride around the 155 mark in pow, 154 on the mountain. I would put you on the 146 or 150, but I would lean towards the 150 considering how you ride. A bit of extra edge will assist with your carving and the extra length will be better for park riding. Not to mention a bit of extra float which never hurts in the super light Japanese pow. I also spoke to a girl in Whistler last season who was riding the 20/20 and she said it was phenomenal (which I know from my own experience), but I thought you might be interested in the feedback. @RhysL rides the 146 and I think he’s around 70kg? Rhys?

Believe the hype. It’s a sensational board.

What makes you think that? I would definitely disagree with you there. wink

You can read @RhysL‘s review here.

Mostly because most of the reviews etc I read say it is for advanced-expert riders and I’m definitely not in that category!

I’ll see what I can find on the internetz on sale…From what you’ve written it sounds like I could get away with riding a 146cm for sure…but will also do fine on a 150cm as well.

Now all I need is for the BW store to have a 50% off sale!  big surprise big surprise

I reckon once I get freddy informed on this board he might even want one, too. He also took his 150cm Draft this year but he’s 10kgs lighter than me so definitely found it slightly easier to float in the pow!...but also ended the trip thinking he’d want to take something different next year.

I also found a ladies Jones Hovercraft in a 152cm at a decent price. Definitely not as all round as a 20/20 but could that also be a good option?

cords - 06 September 2016 12:38 PM

I also found a ladies Jones Hovercraft in a 152cm at a decent price. Definitely not as all round as a 20/20 but could that also be a good option?

It’s a great board, but it’s pow-specific; very directional, not going to ride switch or park well at all. For pow, it rips. I didn’t mention it because it didn’t sound like that was the sort of board you wanted.

For the 20/20, I think you’d be better off on the 150 for Japan. The 146 is discontinued so you might find a good deal floating around. We had it on sale but sold out a while ago. Also, they got the pricing wrong for 2016… it was meant to be $999.99 but they it was honoured at the price of $829.99 (which is the price retailers ordered it at). That’s why the price went up significantly for the 2017 model.

Also, it isn’t exactly a powder board but could an Arbor Westmark work? 152cm? Like my Draft but a bit longer and stiffer and hopefully bit more float?

cords - 06 September 2016 12:58 PM

Also, it isn’t exactly a powder board but could an Arbor Westmark work? 152cm? Like my Draft but a bit longer and stiffer and hopefully bit more float?

Yes and no.

It’s rockered so it will float in that regard. One key advantage is that the Westmark has a sintered base (Draft is extruded); don’t underestimate how increased momentum in pow gives increased float. Faster = more float. Extra length will also give you added float.

But it’s still the same sort of shape… not a pow board. It will float better than your Draft, but I still think you might struggle with it in Japan. It’s a bit too similar to what you’ve got, for the purpose of riding Japan. If you’re going to spend money, I think it would be better to get something better suited to what you really need.

rider26 - 06 September 2016 12:07 PM

@cords, yes, you ride them significantly shorter. The 2016 model came in 146 and 150. For 2017, they upped the sizes to 150 and 154. I am 65kg and I rode the 146 in deep pow no problem, however, I decided to get the 150. Overall, I think it will just perform a bit better for how I ride, but I easily could have gone for the 146. I usually ride around the 155 mark in pow, 154 on the mountain. I would put you on the 146 or 150, but I would lean towards the 150 considering how you ride. A bit of extra edge will assist with your carving and the extra length will be better for park riding. Not to mention a bit of extra float which never hurts in the super light Japanese pow. I also spoke to a girl in Whistler last season who was riding the 20/20 and she said it was phenomenal (which I know from my own experience), but I thought you might be interested in the feedback. @RhysL rides the 146 and I think he’s around 70kg? Rhys?

Believe the hype. It’s a sensational board.

What makes you think that? I would definitely disagree with you there. wink

Yo Yo!!

This board is my all - my everything - my one and only.

well not really but i bloody love it and i’ll ride it every chance i get. Its sick and it RIPS!

I’m 70kegs on a heavy day but the 146 is great. so i’d say the 150 would be perfect for you - def don’t worry about rider ability (although i’m sure you rip more than you think) its honestly the most easy board to ride. it does all the work for you and floats like a dream. I’ve ridden longer pow boards and hated them because they felt like i couldn’t rip them around fast enough. the 20/20 gives me the all the characteristics of a short pow board without the down side of additional length.

hope this helps? the review is worth a read wink

As an update on this thread, I ended up going for a pow/carving fun stick, rather than an all around, do everything board. I’ve had an injury setback that means I won’t be doing any park riding or much jumping around at all for the foreseeable future.

Introducing my 2017 Jones Hovercraft….

So stoked! Thanks Boardworld cheese

@cords, yeeeeeeeeew! Time to shred some pow! shaka

Nice! I’m also only taking one board this year, and i’ll be in Niseko from the 8th-16th of Feb. Got my hands on a 158 Capita x Spring Break powder pill - my first powder specific board, and apparently it’s fast as balls haha, so I’m both extremely excited and interested to see how it rides compared to my old 158 twin camrock board.. Bring on the pow!