The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Jarryd Hayne - NFL

Anyone been following the story of ex NRL star Jarryd Hayne making the transition to the big time in the NFL??

He’s just played his 1st pre season game with San Fransisco 49er’s. Jarryd was able to make a great play in his first appearance, while I’m pretty clueless when it comes to NFL, here’s a taste of the Aussie did.

I’ve been following this story closely and I really hope he makes the 53 man roster. Good luck Jarryd! Yew!

That run, plus a decent punt return (that could have easily been better than it was if the defense didn’t get a lucky grab).

Looks like he might actually make the squad as the 3rd running back I think.

Yeah judging by that, it looks like he’s in the limelight. I really do hope he makes the 49er’s roster!

I was just reading that he made more ground than any other running back in the game! What a champ!

He has to fix his running style, he is still too upright. But he has the strength and a great stiff arm to achieve the roster.

His stats were 5-63yds rushing, take off the 53yd and he had 4-10yd, which is an average of 2.5yd/carry. Not too bad.

It will be interesting to see if they keep him at RB/PR/KR. I think he would make a good free safety.

surferguy56 - 16 August 2015 01:39 PM

I was just reading that he made more ground than any other running back in the game! What a champ!

There are a few reasons he was able to break for a 53 yard run.

Firstly he has some great blocks for him to crack him open. There was a hole the size that my grandmother could have made it through untouched. He did make one good cut on a D-Back when he wrong footed him but got caught up pretty quickly otherwise after stumbling.

Secondly, the point of preseason (especially the first game or two) is that the superstar veterans dont even touch the field. Yes they get dressed to play but essentially they are spectators for a game that has little or no importance. So Jarryd effectively went up against other rookies and previous backup players that were fighting for their spots on their team roster much like he is still fighting for a spot on the 53 man roster. To put it in Australian terms it’d like playing a preseason game against a reserves grade team with your reserves.

Although he showed great balance in keeping his feet, it showed in his punt returns and kick return that he runs too “upright” and doesnt use his shoulders correctly - remember he is wearing shoulder pads and charging with your shoulders (unlike in Rugby League) is very much legal. He is not opening himself up to be cleaned up by a good tackle straight to the sternum. And for those that are going to be like ‘Yeah but he’s taken those kind of hits in League…’ The difference is that in league, inches dont matter, so it doesnt matter if a tackle gets made at the spot or gets dragged down after 5 meters as long as the player gets tackled at some point. However, in American Football (known as Gridiron here) an inch is given is too far and so tacklers are taught to tackle THROUGH the player meaning to hit them at the spot and drive them backwards using their shoulders, arms and head.

My prediction all along is that he wont make the 53 man squad and will be in the practice squad.

On a different note, the media has completely dismissed another Aussie playing in the NFL that has a better story but not so well known. Jesse “The Monster” Williams started playing in Brisbane in the junior competition there and represented the state in the national comp. He was then given a scholarship to Univeristy of Hawaii but was missing some required mathematics levels and had to join a junior college. From there he signed up with University of Alabama and went on to win a championship. He was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks but missed the season from a knee injury in a preseason game and placed on Injured Reserves. Seattle won the Superbowl and he’s the only Australian to own a Superbowl ring! In May he was diagnosed with papillary Type 2 cancer and had to undergo kidney surgery. At the same time as Jarryd Hayne was stepping onto the field, Jesse was doing the same thing for Seattle. Sadly, through all this adversity, no mention in any news report…

Well I say good on Hayne!!!!!

While of late I’ve switched off watchin League cause of a lot of dickheads that are ruining the game, Hayne was always a great ambassador for his sport, along with proving undisputed loyalty to his team!!!!!

To step into another sport, in another country, that would’ve undoubtedly had an abundance of detractors that scoffed at his attempt to have a go at one of their national institutions, and showing everyone that he’s capable of mixin it with guys that have no doubt been bought up from birth with the game and its traditions!!!!!

Not bad in my books, for a Rookie that’s been playin for such a short period!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 17 August 2015 03:20 PM

Well I say good on Hayne!!!!!

While of late I’ve switched off watchin League cause of a lot of dickheads that are ruining the game, Hayne was always a great ambassador for his sport, along with proving undisputed loyalty to his team!!!!!

To step into another sport, in another country, that would’ve undoubtedly had an abundance of detractors that scoffed at his attempt to have a go at one of their national institutions, and showing everyone that he’s capable of mixin it with guys that have no doubt been bought up from birth with the game and its traditions!!!!!

Not bad in my books, for a Rookie that’s been playin for such a short period!!!!!

Amen to all that Mizu!! smile

Darkclouds097 - 17 August 2015 01:46 PM

Sadly, through all this adversity, no mention in any news report…

I actually did read about that story on fox sports article they linked through their fb page….but I know what you mean….

LOL

Hahaha. The Simpsons make the best memes!

Currently watching the 49er’s second pre season game against the Dallas Cowboys and boy-o-boy, Jarryd Hayne is killing it!!!

He had a good game, getting time all over the field including kick off coverage. As far as I can see the only thing he still needs to work on is getting those pads lower when taking a hit. It’s hard to train anything like that out of someone who hasn’t had to worry about it for their whole sporting career. He’ll get there.

It’s rare that a team would take on just a kick/punt returner but if he has the versatility to also play RB then kick/punt coverage we may just see him make the 53.

If he doesn’t make the 53, another team will pick him up on his highlights alone. Especially some team that is rebuilding.

Brings fans to the team from overseas which is always good. (merch etc.)

They are already selling Hayne jerseys, and the crowd just goes off when he gets the ball on punt return.