The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Changing to duck stance

Hi,

Coming off a set-back directional board with forward stance (21/3) to a centred true-twin and have been advised that changing to around 18/-6 duck will be better for driving the new board and be more comfortable.

I tend to initiate and drive turns with my front foot and steer with the back, which will presumably cause me some knee grief with the back foot angled negative.

Any tips from the experts on how to re-train the back foot and rear knee to stay pointed and not try to twist forward into turns?

If I find duck no go for me, is there anything wrong with riding forward stance on a twin?

thanx in advance.

depends on why you got the twin board

what are you wanting to do - just cruise or hit jumps or park stuff

i reckon you should have more minus angle on your back foot and embrace the twin board as a different riding style

you will probably have to squat more with you weight centred over the board as you ride so you don’t tuck the knee

i would suggest widening your stance too

I think the key here is taking the time to learn to ride switch properly. There is no better way to train the other side of your body, then to actually ride that way. I would certainly duck out your back foot to at least -6, possibly more if you are going to make a big effort to ride switch. Don’t be afraid to drop the angle of your front foot either. You are at the point where you need to experiment with your stance to see what works for what. Make small changes, but try a variety of stances. If you don’t try, you will never know…

No, there’s nothing wrong with riding in a forward stance. A duck stance is more versatile however, for the typical riding you see at resorts. It gives you more options in the way you can ride your board. Personally I also find it a lot more comfortable. There’s nothing saying you can’t ride a twin board setback either. That said, in my opinion a true twin snowboard performs at its best with a centred and ducked stance.

Have a read of this article on switch riding. Also if you haven’t already, read the article on stance.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Caboose - 27 July 2010 02:21 AM

depends on why you got the twin board

what are you wanting to do - just cruise or hit jumps or park stuff

i reckon you should have more minus angle on your back foot and embrace the twin board as a different riding style

you will probably have to squat more with you weight centred over the board as you ride so you don’t tuck the knee

i would suggest widening your stance too

Just looking to cruise a little more comfortably and do more riding in the trees. Twin was recommended over the directional on the basis of less aggressiveness required in turns and tighter turns quicker.

a directional twin all mountain board would be more suited to that style of riding

not saying you can’t do that on a centred twin

but a centred twin board is more designed to be a “park” board to help in spinning & jibbing & riding switch

don’t get me wrong - i’m cruising around on a true twin and loving the ride with a few jumps and boxes thrown in

i think you will find a true twin will grab a fair bit if try to ride it in a positive stance setting - due to its shape - not really designed for it

Thanx. For reference the board is a YES GDOH 159 which is promoted as an all-mountain/free-style stick.

My stance width on the directional is approx 21.5” (I’m 5’10” or 175cm). On the YES the minimum is 22” which I currently have it set to. Next increment is 23.5” which feels just a little weird. Would 22” be wide enough do you reckon? I realise that on snow testing will be the final decider, but hey, I love details and have 3 more sleeps till I’m there.

thanx again

yeah start there and see how if feels, but don’t be shy with doing little adjustments

try a few things and see how it feels

How tall are you? Always start narrower, then try wider.