The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mt Bogong Last Saturday - 17 July

Trip Report

Mt Bogong: Saturday 17 July 2010.

After the nice little dump last week we just had to go get some freshies on the weekend, so we decided to undertake a day mission up to Mt Bogong on Saturday.

We drove the car to the base of Eskdale Spur and headed off at about 6.30am with the head torches lighting our way for the first 20 minutes or so.  It wasn’t long before we were stripping layers off as the walk up is always hot work!  The track was snowed over after about 30 minutes off walking, at about the 1400m level. 

We arrived at Michells hut at about 8ish for a break and some breakfast.  There were a couple of tents and a few crew in the hut, and everyone was pretty pumped about the day ahead as the sun was out, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky and it looked pretty still up top.

When we got above the treeline there was a fairly good snow cover on the northern ridge and we chucked the skins on the Splitboard skis on the last little uphill section of the north ridge.

When we got the main ridge Cairn Gully was looking great.  The cover wan’t complete, with a couple of small, shallow creek lines and a few rocks and shrubs exposed.  But there was plenty of cover and fresh snow and not a track to be seen!  When we got to the summit there was a few crew up there and we were all itching to lay some tracks. 

The snow wasn’t light fluffy powder, but it was still nice and soft and it hadn’t thawed/frozen since the dump during the week.  There was nice 20-30 cover of fresh snow on top of the base and there was some nice little rollers and rock drops available because the gully wasn’t completely filled in.  The skin up on the Splitboard was easy after each run as the snow was soft and there wasn’t any ice to be found.

We stayed in the gully for the day picking different lines each time we went down, and never had to worry about finding the fresh stuff. 

I reckon that after another good dump the Gully should be filled in nicely and the chutes of the main ridge should be looking ripe!

We got back to Michells hut at about 4.30 and had some arvo tea and a bit of a rest.  We then pushed off and had to don the head torches again for the last 20 minutes before we got back to the car at about 6.30pm.

After a big day we definitely enjoyed a beer and a hot shower, but it was worth the effort as you don’t get blue skies, hardly any wind and fresh snow every day on Bogong!!

Great report, can’t see the pics though. I found if I try to link pics from photobucket that are in an album, they won’t work.

The link you gave does not work either.

Can you fix it please? Would love to see your pics.

Awesome report and photos. I fixed the images for you. Thanks for sharing with us.

top report!