The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with Knee Pad Choice?

Hey Crew

So when I started skating, I padded up as much as I could (with snowboard armour: wrists guards, soft knee pads, impact shorts).
I’m getting better at falling these days so I started wearing less and less pads.
At the moment I’m not wearing any pads at all.

But I want to start pushing myself again, and basically, if I bust a knee, I can’t go to Japan and work.

SO, what’s your favourite brand/model of knee pad?
I skate a lot of small-medium transition. So I might not need the biggest vert pad out there, but definitely want something that can take some impact.

I’ve been looking at 187, Protec and TSG.
I used to have some TSG Forces when I vert bladed as a kid. I liked them but people say they slip around too much.
Protec’s to me, look like a nice cheap option but it seams like u get what u pay for in durability.
187s I’ve had no experience with but people seem to love how well they stay in place. Little bit pricey.

Is that kinda correct? Are there any other brands I should look at?

I’d offer my advice, but havent had much experience with pads, sorry mate.
The only ones Ive used are TSG. And only used them once, dont wear pads. Only sometimes wear shin guards if my shin splits are playing up.

Oh well, too late. I bought some LOL

I figured these should be good. People give them good reviews and I’ve noticed the are the most commonly used by vert/pool skaters (I realise they may all be sponsored by them).

But, they look the least bulky, people say they stay in place well, and they can handle Pedro Barros smashing down to earth in them. I figured they were a safe bet.

I’ll do a review once I’ve used them a few times.

^^ You beat me to it. 187s are the best on the market. They were definitely the most in-demand knee pads during my time working in a skate shop. Great choice there, mate.

If anyone else wants to check them out: http://www.187killerpads.com/pro-knee-pads.php

They are really good knee pads and have continued on with developing the product more and more. I had some of the first ones and they were great and then the newer models do have a ton more support in around the knee. The knee caps do slide as well which is great cause I had some of the street protec knee pads and the caps tend to grip. Which is not good seeing that is twist your knee really bad.
Have fun with your 187 pads Andy.

They just arrived! Super fast post from STM.

Unfortunately my first impressions are not very good. I can see them giving great impact protection but other than that I’m kinda disappointed.
If I had the opportunity to try these on in a store, there’s no way I would have bought them.

- When you stand up straight, the pads have a gap the size of my fist between the pad and my knee. They also look kinda ridiculous, like when u put giant pads on a 5 year old teacherboy
- They are REALLY itchy. I haven’t skated in them yet, but when I put them on and walked around I wanted to take them off after 5 minutes. I can’t imagine skating in them for hours.

I’m really surprised so many pros skate in these, unless it’s just because they are sponsored by them.

I don’t know…... maybe I just have weird legs or something. They obviously are very protective but otherwise I don’t like them at all.
I’m not sure if I should skate with them cause I think maybe I should sell them or something while they are still new?

For the most expensive pads on the market, I’m pretty damn disappointed   downer

With the gap between the knee and pad when standing up that is intentional. The design is to keep you bent at the knees so you are more prone for the pumpimg position. Also for when you are needing to drop to your knees it is putting you in the main position straight away. Therefore excess padding isn’t needed for the impact support. Some skaters will also use a gasket underneath to pad out the pad and add some more impact protection. All personal choice, but if you can post some pictures with the pads on so we can see and give some more feed back.

Yeah I figured that’s why they are shaped that way. I just find it kind of annoying.

I’ll give them a skate first. I’m probably judging too quickly. I put them on for about half an hour yesterday and they did seam to mold to shape and fit a bit better.

I’ll probably have 1 session on them and they will be fine. The whole 90 degree bend in them is just something i’ll have to get used to.

I used to have a pair of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle knee pads… too bad I didn’t catch this thread before you bought those 187s, they were awesome!!

LOL 
If you still love the green heroes of your youth, check out Tech Nine Bindings. Lucas Magoon’s pro models are covered in Turtles graphics grin

Found em: