The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What’s your worst boarding injury?

I went out with my aunty last night who is a mad keen ice skater, and she was showing me some pretty nasty scars from a broken wrist and arm.

It got me thinking about the associated risks, and the common injurys suffered when boarding. I bet there are also some pretty obscure injuries too.

What’s the worst injury you’ve had from boarding?

I’m injury free, but I’m only a beginner, so there’s plenty of time for that yet.  LOL

P.S. - Bonus points if you post photos!!

I’ve had many injuries, but the ones that stick out in my memory are…

I was stretchered off the hill in Thredbo in 02 or 03. I was about to 50-50 the 6 metre rail, first run of the day and conditions were super icy. I hit an icy patch just before I left the lip of the gap, slipped out, and bent my whole body around the rail. My left thigh took the full impact of the hit. I tried to stand and my leg just gave way. It was so painful and I felt this massive lump (hard as a rock) sticking out of my leg. My leg actually felt deformed and my immediate thought was a compound fracture. I did well not to go into shock and I signaled for some people to call patrol. They felt the same thing sticking out of my leg and also assumed it was broken. They wanted to cut my pants off right there on the snow and I said no, just get me to the medical center. Anyway, it turned out I had a haematoma the size of a lemon in the side of my thigh. I was in such pain, couldn’t walk for days, but so stoked it wasn’t broken. She said because I was young, my femur bent and didn’t break, if I was any older it probably would have snapped my femur. I had a bruise on the side of my leg for no joke about six months.

I separated both my shoulders (acromioclavicular (AC) joint), six months apart from each other. Did the first shoulder in Whistler in Jan 06 (doing something stupid), and the left shoulder in Thredbo in July 06 (on the down rail). Both were pretty painful and had to take a decent amount of time off the snow.

Cartilage in my lower right ribs.. 4 times now

1st time - 2007 - leg hit the ribs, didn’t see a small drop in near white out conditions
2nd time - Jan 2009 - stacked the landing of a jump - slight pain, still able to ride to and from work but most painful when trying to do bad things with members of the opposite sex…
3rd time - April 2009 - came off a box and landed on my arm (1 month before pain stopped, couldn’t even ride if i tried, opening doors was painful, getting out of bed was a mission, standingup etc etc etc
4th time - last sunday - lost concentration for a sec, big toeside stack.. only slight pain now, physio has done wonders for it

First day up this season, pulled my shoulder and gave myself a black eye after a dubious cab 1 attempt resulted in a fight with a hard icy patch.

ice is definately a common factor here!

Actually, thinking back to last season, being my first season, I copped some pretty mad tailbone damage.

Obviously being a beginner I was spending a lot of time on my heelside (sideslipping, pendulum etc) and couldn’t tell you how many times I ended up on my ar5e. Seriously, think of a number and multiply it by 20.  tongue rolleye

I couldn’t do situps at boxing for about 3 weeks afterwards.

That’s about as bad as I’ve had it. But like I said, there’s plenty of time yet.  grin

I have popped my shoulder out but other then that I have had a bruised heel which doesn’t hurt but is such a bad injury

I’ve damaged my Left Medial Meniscus in my knee along with my Left Medial Collateral Ligament.
Threw myself off a jump, skewed the landing and ended up twisting like a….Twisty? I dunno..

That was on day 1 of my NZ ski trip a couple of years ago. Powered through the rest of the two weeks living off anti-inflammatories..

bankhart lesion in my left shoulder with a few days left riding in japan in 2008 - goofing around on a 143? ride kink

Luckily ive only had one serious injury, in 2009 screwed the landing on a back 3 and gove myself what i thought was a concussion. Knowing that i went down back to the apartmnet to rest and drink some water, but by the time i got there my tounge was numb and i had balance problems, that was when the gf convinced me to go out to the hospital. By the time we got there (15 min bus ride) i couldnt walk properly and only make some grunting sounds (by now my whole mouth was numb). That got me to the front of the line straight away, and into an endless amount of scans, tests and whatever else they do to you at hospitals. 3 doctors, and $3000+ of scans later (which made the travel insurance a very good investment) they came back to my conclusion - concussion, no riding for 7 days.

Again stupid ICE! Ice in clumps like softballs. Going down the back of Mount Piper to get to the intercepter chair and caught the back edge *CRASH*

The pictures will tell the story:

DAMMIT! Didn’t realise I was logged in as the fiancee! (He uses the PC and I use the laptop, the one time I use the PC I do something stupid!)

That above post is me from me!!! *face palm*

Wow, that’s a great looking Colle’s Fracture - so clear on the film

snowcrazy, OUCH!  big surprise

One would think I would be focused on the pain but nope, I was STOKED! Go to go on a Skidoo!