The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Multi-vitamin tablets

Do any of you take multi-vitamin tablets?

If so, could you please recommend a good one for a male. I am fit and healthy but I feel it’s impossible to always gets all the vitamins and nutrients you need on a regular daily basis.

I think most multi vitamins are pretty similar. Check for how much vitamin B is in there, some of the cheap one cut short on that.

If you want to get something more specific Glucosamine Sulfate is great for cartilage repair and growth.

Omega oils are also good for your joints as well as for your brain.

Green+ is great for general health.

I heard apple cidar vinegar is really good but haven’t tried it. I would say generally just avoid processed foods as much as you can and eat as many different kinds of vegetables as you can.

I am always injured and so I take a few different things at different times, here is a list and my thoughts on what people should take (keep in mind you don’t have to agree with me as I’m not a qualified heath nutritionist)

Glucosamine: perfect for when you have an injury concerning tears and strains in your body, even for bone breaks. Glucosamine helps form and repair cartilage between bones and joints.

Vitamin C: I take it a lot in the winter because it is good for the immune system and helps keep away the common cold. It is vital for the production of collagen, which is responsible for keeping tissues, organs and cartilage healthy.

Acidophilus: Is something that is not included in a multi-vitamin but in my belief it is an essential natural antibiotic. It improves food digestion and absorption, produces vitamin B’s like folic acid, B5, niacin, biotin, B12 and B6.

Vitamin D: should really only be taken when the sun isn’t out as you get heaps of vitamin D from the sun. So you people on the coast of Australia don’t really have too much to worry about.

As long as you are eating a healthy balanced diet I see no reason to be taking a multi-vitamin. It’s when you aren’t able to get all the nutrients and vitamins from your daily dose of food throughout the day that you might need to think about taking a multi-vitamin.

I take Centrum daily…I have no idea if it helps but it probably doesn`t hurt…I don`t eat very much so it probably helps

Hey will_melbourne, what is a good dose of vitamin B?

I should probably start taking Glucosamine.

I will look at Centrum.

I really dont believe in multi vitamins, i think if you eat the correct foods (which isnt hard folks) then you should get all the vitamins and minerals the body needs. From fruit and veg, dairy to whole grains. Its all there. Besides its a more pure form then the stuff you get out of those little bottles anyway.

Fresh produce all the way! Though the only thing i may take is a nice big protein shake after a marathon swim or run or shred smile

My 2 cents smile

nice list people, I wish i had more of the things mentioned.  you always forget something when you travel away for the winter, for me this time it was my pills, glucosamine, omega fish oils and multivitamins.  And now i’m too poor to buy items of that nature, well not for a few weeks anyhow! The only info i have to offer is that i believe there is a new version of glucosamine called glucox which has 25% better absorbtion. info from my mum so i can’t tell you much more…..

Calcium, Magnesium, D3 and k1 keeps the bones strong and prevents arthritis, goes well with glucosamine

This is just a personal preference but I have not had any issues with either Centrum Recharge or Swisse Mens Ultivite. Ihave used both and been happy with them. Hope that helps!

I find the best multivitamin to be blackmores mens performance multi, has all of the vitamin components that you need as well as the most tribulus terristris of any of them.  Why is that a good thing?  It’s a known testosterone booster, test being incredibly important for your wellbeing and recuperative ability as a man.  For joints get some glucosamine and chondrioton tablets, these seem to work well for joint pain and soreness especially when used in conjuntion with fish oil tablets, fish oil is cheap as, 400 x 1000mg tabs for $20 or thereabouts.

Protein powders are also a good thing especially after a hard day on the mountain, these will help your muscles recover quicker.

As long as everyone is aware that just because something is a “health food”, “vitamin” or a “Supplement” does not necessarily mean it is good for you. And lots of pharmacies/naturopaths/health shops recommend various different things without regards to clinical evidence.

As a pharmacist, I base my recommendations on evidence based medicine (good quality scientific studies).

Multi-vitamins - generally all do the same thing, no MAJOR advantage of one over the other. Body takes what it needs and excretes the rest.

Glucosamine sulfate (Plus Chondroitin if desired) - evidence to support its pain relief and symptom relief in knee pain and osteoarthritis of the knee - no evidence for other salts of Glucosamine i.e. Glucosamine hydrochloride

Omega oils - recommended daily dose for beneficial effects - joint repair and cholesterol lowering is ~4g (4 capsules) per day. However, increased bleeding risk is a side effect.

Vitamin C - studies have shown that Vitamin C does not offer any significant protection from the common cold, nor does it provide significant symptom relief. The studies showed that placebo (no Vit C supplementation) patients experienced cold symptoms for 8 days, whilst Vit C supplemented patients experienced cold symptoms for 7.5 days - negligible difference.

Vitamin D - you shouldn’t be deficient in this and supplementation isn’t necessary. The only people deficient in Vit D are old people stuck indoors in nursing homes and young babies with parents that over apply sunscreen. Oversupplementation can result in hypercalcaemia (too much calcium) which can result in medical problems.

Surferguy56 has the right idea: balanced diet with lots of fresh vegies and fruits but lots of people find this difficult and hence multi-vitamins.
I personally take a berocca a day. Why Berocca? I like the taste raspberry

The idea that if you eat right and balanced you will get all the vitamins you need is noble, but ultimately not true anymore. It is possible if you eat locally organically grown food all the time but unfortunately in this day and age food is grown and processed in such a way that it is nutritionally deficient compared to even 25 years ago.

I also strenuously disagree that all vitamins are created equal. there are many videos on the web of sewage treatments plants having to deal with undigested centrums, one a days and all the big brand name vitamins. I’ll try to find some links later today.

In my opinion everyone should consider taking a daily multivitamin, as well as omega fatty acids. some sort of joint formula like glucosamine/chondroitin is fine for most people (other than those allergic to shelfish or are diabetic) but the evidence that they actually help is a bit spotty. Same with vitamin C, again many people pay 30-50 dollars a bottle for ester-c and other supposed anti cold/flu remedies but again the evidence that they actually work is spotty. the side effects/risks of taking that stuff is minimal though, except on your wallet.

For day to day physiologic functional, healing and repair i would suggest getting a daily multivitamin and mineral and a fatty acid supplement from a reputable healthfood store, not a grocery store, drug store, or work out gym rat store.

Even though I’m quite late to this thread, I thought I’d add my 2cents.
I take magma plus every day. If you just look at the ingredients you’ll see that it’s a who’s who of a natural health food shop.
It gives me energy and I find that I am generally healthier because of it.
I tried green+ but that really tastes like crap!
http://www.iherb.com/Green-Foods-Corporation-Magma-Plus-11-oz-312-g/3644?at=0

It is time I chime in on this topic.

I’m a nurse, and I’m a runner, and I dont eat meat (I eat fish and eggs and all that, I’m just stubborn from my younger years and dont eat meat)

Being a nurse doesnt make me any authority… and definitely not beyond T-spec being a pharmacist (much respect. Very nice to have you on here!).

I’ve not taken a multi-vit, simply because I felt that I diddnt need one. Even though my wife would encourage me to do so.
But lately as I’ve been running again and getting my mileage up to 8+ miles. I’ve not felt right. I feel weak in between runs. I’ve had GI problems that I cant seem to shake and I dont recall taking this long to recover from runs in the past… Of course I’m 36 yrs old now and that has it’s effect too. So I asked my wife to pick up some generic multi-vit for me. It’s a generic for Centrum, I do believe.
It’s too early to know how I feel, or if it has helped, but I’m thinking it may be. Placebo? possibly… but I’m willing to take what should be a harmless pill to help me recover, repair and feel stronger if that is all it takes.

I’m training for another half-marathon. It’s been a few years since I’ve run that distance, but I’m excited…. and this is a trail run too… not on the streets. I’m excited about it.

Gamblor - 30 March 2010 06:12 AM

Even though I’m quite late to this thread, I thought I’d add my 2cents.
I take magma plus every day. If you just look at the ingredients you’ll see that it’s a who’s who of a natural health food shop.
It gives me energy and I find that I am generally healthier because of it.
I tried green+ but that really tastes like crap!
http://www.iherb.com/Green-Foods-Corporation-Magma-Plus-11-oz-312-g/3644?at=0

What flavors does this come in?

it’s just the one flavor. It has a slight berry flavour, but it mostly tastes like green tea. The good thing about it though is that when you mix it with juice, the taste (which I happen to like, but some don’t) disappears.

If anyone is interested, pm me,  I have a $5 off code from that iherb site