The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Drift Innovation Launches the Drift HD Ghost

DRIFT HD GHOST

Drift Innovation, the award-winning action sports technology company specializing in the capture and sharing of digital imagery, launched the most feature-rich and intuitive action camera yet – the Drift HD Ghost.

http://driftinnovation.com/camera/drift-hd-ghost/

Building upon a unique feature set, which includes an industry-first two-way LED remote control with on/off indicator light, video recording/tagging capabilities in continuous loop mode, and an integrated 2-inch Gorilla Glass® LCD screen, the Drift HD Ghost is the best all-in-one solution on the market.Unlike other point of view cameras that require aftermarket accessories and peripherals for functionality, the Drift HD Ghost includes everything action sports enthusiasts need to capture professional quality video immediately. Plus, the intuitive interface is easy to use, easy to navigate and easy to set up, so users everywhere can begin recording moments after opening the box.

Drift Active StatusTM Two-Way Remote with LED Lights

The Drift HD Ghost is the only action camera packaged standard with a wearable on/off remote control with LEDs and wrist strap. The strategically placed LED lights on the remote instantly communicate the mode currently in use displaying a color-coded system indicating Video, Photo, Timelapse or Photoburst modes. The remote also streamlines functionality by allowing users to take photos and change function modes from up to 30 feet (10m) away, as well as to start and stop recording. This saves precious memory space and battery life so you can capture a full day of activities without wasting time.

Drift FlashbackTM Video Tag/Loop

Action sports enthusiasts can save a recorded event up to five minutes after it happens while in Video Tag/Loop mode, which records footage in a continuous loop style. The video clip is stored in the camera’s memory, and will save the clip only if the user chooses to “tag” it.

Built-In 2-Inch LCD Screen with Gorilla Glass®

The screen allows quick, real-time viewing of camera angles before you even press record. It also supports instant video playback of recorded footage, making it easier than ever to edit, delete and re-live your favorite actions whenever, and where ever, you want. Plus, its screen is covered with Gorilla Glass® to ensure scratch-proof performance even in the most rugged terrains.

Drift DataLinkTM Wi-Fi Enabled & Drift App

The Drift HD Ghost comes Wi-Fi-enabled to communicate instantly with smartphones. Combined with the Drift Mobile App (coming soon for both IOS and Android) you can preview and line up a shot remotely from your phone, change camera settings, shot recording, photo capture and playback, directly through your mobile device. You can even download content from the camera to your smartphone instantly and share content wirelessly across your favorite social media platforms.

Drift PowerStationTM

The Drift HD Ghost has the longest standard battery life on the market, providing 3 hours of recording time per charge, courtesy of the included 1700 mAh rechargeable lithium-ion battery. The Drift PowerStation™ also uniquely places the battery in the center of the camera maximizing battery life and providing an anti-vibrational system.

Advanced Drift PureTM Audio Technology

The microphone features digital and mechanical dynamic modulation technology which offers the latest innovations in digital signal processing and wind-noise reduction to provide crystal clear audio. Standard in all Drift cameras are multiple sensitivity settings and an external 3.5mm microphone connector to further enhance the captured audio.

Enhanced 7 Element Lens Design

The Drift HD Ghost boasts an upgraded lens design consisting of seven elements, ensuring optically pure performance whether filming in the Gobi desert or on top a high mountain peak. This guarantees the user high clarity, vibrantly colored, stunning HD video. While recording crystal clear HD video in a variety of resolutions (ranging from 1080p, 960p, 720p to WVGA), you can simultaneously shoot still photos without interrupting filming, so you never miss a moment.

Nine feet (3m) waterproof without any housing

The Drift HD Ghost features an improved design allowing the camera to be nine feet (3m) waterproof out of the box. So whether surfing in Indonesia or kiteboarding on the Hood River, Drift has you covered. For deep water enthusiasts Drift offers a uniquely designed waterproof housing which allows you to capture underwater adventures up to 180 feet (60m) depth.

PRODUCT FEATURES:

1080p High Definition
microSD Memory Capacity: up to 32GB
60fps in 720p, 120fps in VGA
Still Photo: 11 megapixel with Photoburst Mode
Drift Active StatusTM Two-Way Remote with LED Lights
Drift FlashbackTM Video Tag/Loop
Built-In 2-Inch LCD Screen with Gorilla Glass®
Drift DataLinkTM Wi-Fi Enabled & Drift App (coming soon)
Advanced Drift PureTM Audio Technology
Enhanced 7 Element Lens Design
Lens Angle: 170° Fully Rotatable Wide Angle Lens (130° at 60fps)
Digital Zoom: x10
Water Proof to 3m (9.84ft)
Remote Control: Wireless RF (10m range) Hands Free Video and Photo
Mounts: Multiple Mounting Design, Standard 1/4? 20 thread
Audio: Built-in Microphone & Speaker, 2.5mm Mono Plug Input
HDMI: Mini (Type c) HDMI connector for HDTV playback
Menus: User Friendly Control Panel in 15 Languages

let the comparison videos begin.

The official 100% ghost shot video from Drift.

They should have had the camera on the back of the surf board

Interested to hear about availability and pricing.

I’m not convinced that the Ghost is better than the GoPro Hero3 Silver or Black editions.

Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I can tell the only standout feature of the Drift is the continuous loop, which I don’t think I’d use anyway. (Review of feature here fyi http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/blog/drift-hd-ghost-review-helmet-camera-innovation/)

I think GoPro is the way to go for sure.

Andy_C - 09 November 2012 11:54 AM

I’m not convinced that the Ghost is better than the GoPro Hero3 Silver or Black editions.

Correct me if I’m wrong but from what I can tell the only standout feature of the Drift is the continuous loop, which I don’t think I’d use anyway. (Review of feature here fyi http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/blog/drift-hd-ghost-review-helmet-camera-innovation/)

Pretty sure that both the GoPro 3 Silver & Black have the looping function also!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 09 November 2012 10:02 PM

Pretty sure that both the GoPro 3 Silver & Black have the looping function also!!!!!

Yeah the black does, saw it in that video that Lanox posted.

Mudhoney - 09 November 2012 10:59 PM
Mizu Kuma - 09 November 2012 10:02 PM

Yeah the black does, saw it in that video that Lanox posted.

Silver has the same feature too!!!!! The White is the one that misses out!!!!!

From the GoPro site specs on the GoPro 3 Silver,

New advanced camera settings: Looping video, Manual White Balance control (in Protune mode only), Protune Mode, allows to shoot photos while recording video and more.

Mudhoney - 08 November 2012 11:26 PM

Interested to hear about availability and pricing.

2 weeks
$469rrp

Sending you PM for BWM discount price!

rolleyes
Silver doesn’t come with remote.
Black & Silver - No LCD supplied (new lcd is touchscreen but not when using waterproof housing)
Black has 6 element lens
GoPro has two shooting angles - right way up and upside down.
All GoPro cameras require hardcase for moisture (at least that’s supplied) but it must be sealed meaning no usable audio or BacPacs. And additional anti fogging stip/agent must be used.

Drift Ghost
2-way led remote - 10m range. And 3 mounts supplied (camera has standard tripod mount anyway)
Mechanical anti-vibration inbuilt.
2” LCD
3m waterproof WITHOUT housing (60m with housing).
7 element, 300? rotating lens.
3hr battery while recording (2hrs using WiFi)
Good looks.
Tough design - shock proof rated (drop from 2m).
Local company DriftHD Australia (Drift Innovation are British)
BWM discount when purchased through Xcam/SNOcam.
& Drift are affiliated with BW (I’ve not seen a single GoPro employee post here or sponsor a competition)
^GP3 have none of those things teacherboy

Drift Ghost way trumps GP3silver.

GP3black have some things over Ghost;
4k video, 720@120fps, 1080@60fps
Definitely gives the owner Hero bragging rites for what their camera could do.

snowbum_spaz - 12 November 2012 02:21 AM

Drift Ghost way trumps GP3silver.

its all good to throw specs around and say that cam a has more magic fairy dust than cam b, and cam b can eat more tacos in 10 minutes than cam a, but when it comes time to look at the footage, ill bet the gp2silver “trumps” the drift ghost

How many peso’s you willing to lay down DylanV?
I’ll gladly take that bet.

As far as numbers and specs show; GoProBlack has it hands down ATM. The quality of footage isn’t a factor. It’s all about who can make the most pre-sales and (for anyone not GoPro affiliated) make a dollar. It’s marketing and it doesn’t matter if the product is actually available or good.

Drift Ghost is the pick of cameras this week (GoProBlack had it last week but investigation ceased into GoPro when DriftHD Ghost was released).

What next week brings in the marketing war is anyones guess.

In 2013 the brand I’m interested in is a VIO comeback.

Magic fairy dust.
Should be the new slogan for GoPro. GoPro have career opportunities in San Mateo and that sounds like the marketing GoPro so willingly promote (like 60mins) to push their product.

This isn’t pro equipment (despite the name). HeadCams cater to the people who want the cheapest, most robust, easy-to-use camera with the best name. All GoPro have is the name and a distinctive (if not ugly) look.

And despite what 60mins say - GoPro weren’t the first.
GoPro did break ground in cameras that shot still images but 60min only showed video shot in the last 2 months.
VIO were the innovators in video from 2002-2011 (then the GFC got them).
GoPro played catchup until late 2010. Before them Contour and VIO held the market share.

If your only interested in GoPro go check out the GoPro threads.

Drift HD Ghost: Winter Is Here

rider26 - 15 November 2012 04:38 AM

Drift HD Ghost: Winter Is Here

the sign was in French, so is that shot in France or Canada?