The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What u guys think of this skateboard?

Hey guys, I’m new to this forum and I really like it!
I’m shortly buying a new skateboard, and I want to know if Im buying the right thing. In a skate shop (not online) I found this skateboard at 35£ that looked pretty good to me:   

The brand is voltage and can I know from someone who used it if it is good for a beginner skateboarder?? If the wheels,bearings,trucks and deck are good generally??Does it snaps easily??Is it too small for me?? How long is it going to last?? Basically can you describe the skateboard?? I’m tall 183cm and I’m 9UK of size. Could anyone help me out??

And how do I maintain the skateboard??

Thanks for viewing this topic and hope you guys will help a lot!

Hey ArdentBoard, welcome to Boardworld. smile

I removed the link as we don’t allow links to overseas stores. But I did check it out. There is absolutely no information on the deck or the parts, so it’s impossible to say. Usually when something is that cheap it’s not the best quality. I can’t say I’ve ever heard of that brand either.

Ask the shop what wood the deck is, how many ply, what are the trucks, bearings, wheels etc. Let us know.

Check out this thread on skateboard maintenance: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4933/

Hey Ardent, I haven’t heard of that board company before.

My advice is to go to your local skate store and just tell them you’re a begginer looking for a board. They will be happy to help you and will be able to find a deck that fits you.

Also if you buy a complete board, you can usually get them pretty cheap.

Thanks guys for replying so quickly. I will tell them that I am a beginner skateboarder. I just want to post of what this skate is made:

Full: Length 31” x Width 7.75”

Mini: Length 29” x Width 7.5”

Deck: 100% 7ply Chinese Maple pressed with American Stiff glue

Trucks: Heavy Duty Truck with Raw Finish and SHR 95A Cushion

Wheels: 54mm x 34mm 100A SHR Waxy White

Bearings: ABEC 7 Chrome

Thanks again guys!

Rubbish setup, kmart quality. Chinese maple is a fancy name for birchwood. If it is 7 ply birchwood it will snap very easy as birchwood is no where near the strength of Canadian Maple (real name Sugar Maple or Acer Saccharum) If you are a beginner still buy a decent deck it will be better to learn.

^ This.

Hey ardentboard.

I have to agree with butcher. That brand of board is a very cheap brand that is an absolute useless after a while. Also if your that tall and have size 9uk steer clear of the mini. Invest in some good trucks and then build up from there. Good trucks will last for years.

Are you based in the UK mate?

I understand that the skateboard isn’t that good so I am aiming for another one which I think is better because it is made of Canadian Maple:

SIZE: 31” x 7.5”

DECK: 100% Canadian Maple pressed with American stiff glue

TRUCK: 5” Heavy duty truck with matt black finish, 95A SHR cushion

WHEEL: 53 x 30mm 99A SHR coloured urethane

BEARING: ABEC-7 Chrome

And by the way, yes I live in the UK I wear 9UK (EU43). I just want to say that my friend which is bigger than me uses the Voltage skateboard. He already knows how to Ollie, and he does it a lot of times. Will it snap in a short period of time??
Thanks for replying guys really helpful

Where abouts in the UK are you mate?

West Midlands mate.

West Sussex here mate.

I find in the UK Venture tend to be the cheapest and best quality truck. If you want to try out some good quality cheap decks look at the Fracture decks. They also do some decent wheels as well. You can never go wrong with Bones Reds bearing for the price and the way they roll. Awesome.

Size wise for the deck with your size feet I would suggest a 8 inch board with 5.25 wide trucks to match.

Thanks for the advice mate! The only problem is that I am not really sure if my local skate shop has these “Fracture” skateboards. Anyways, how long is this Skate going to last if I practice doing basic skateboards tricks (Ollie, Kickflip, Shove it etc)? And if the shop hasn’t got the Fracture skateboards, is it ok the one I listed up before??

SIZE: 31” x 7.5”

DECK: 100% Canadian Maple pressed with American stiff glue

TRUCK: 5” Heavy duty truck with matt black finish, 95A SHR cushion

WHEEL: 53 x 30mm 99A SHR coloured urethane

BEARING: ABEC-7 Chrome

And should I buy bones bearings on eBay??
Thanks for replying guys really appreciate your help.

The thing is that if you buy decent gear now you don’t have to replace it later on. Good trucks, wheels & bearings will last you for ages the board will wear but that’s only natural.

If you put the money in to a setup not with the best of the best just cheap premium products you will skate better and it will cost you less in the long run. Go to your store and get even a blank deck, venture trucks, cheap store wheels….cheapish bearings you will be set for a while.

^Pretty much what bkrtron said.^

Another cheaper UK brand is Enuff skateboards.

Thing is when you get ready made completes your not always getting the best. Just some quick fix setup. The down side to this is the board won’t perform how it should it, then it gets frustrating and you sometimes end up not wanting to skate.

All right then, I’ll go for a custom skateboard!
But, what is the good cheapest gear that I could get in the internet??
I am looking for:
-Cheap trucks
-Cheap wheels
-Cheap bearings
-Cheap Deck (I’ll probably buy this in my local skate shop)

Could you write a list on the cheapest and durable gear for my skateboard?? Did I listed all the things that include a skateboard?? I don’t want to spend more than 60£.
Thanks guys really helping me a lot!!

I’m thinking the “voltage” setup wouldn’t be great for learning on and may end up holding you back.
The warning sign (apart from the ply) is “Heavy Duty Trucks” To me this says more weight, given that everyone else has said this is a poor setup and inexpensive, I’m confident this is the case.

For ollieing weight is important (especially if your learning) - good trucks are made from good materials, good alloy is pricey, so are good bushings. Good alloy is lightweight and strong.

Apart from what ply is used; The shape and contours of the deck are what give you control - many cheap decks don’t have the subtleties required because it cuts costs and it’s easy to sell to inexperienced skaters. Experienced skaters will chose a deck that fits them, their feet and can even dictate what shoes they wear.

But don’t be put off, if your in desperate need to get some wheels under you and this is just going to be something to “get buy” on while you save up for a decent setup - then get it! If you look at what we rode in the 80’s you would never imagine how ollies came to exist.

Maybe consider going to K-Mart and spending even less - you don’t want your first board to last forever anyway and it’s going to take time to fine tune exactly what setup suits YOU.