The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with board choice please :)

Also also cheese

What do you guys think of this one:
7ft minimal, 20 1/2 wide, epoxy

Would I be able to duck dive that cause it’s smaller, but still have fun in small surf? Or is that just a stupid idea? Be honest please

Make this guy an offer?????

<stupid post>

Andy Aitken - 22 October 2012 04:32 AM

Also also cheese

What do you guys think of this one:

Would I be able to duck dive that cause it’s smaller, but still have fun in small surf? Or is that just a stupid idea? Be honest please

Again, I would avoid epoxy!!!!!

I made him a few offers but he turned them all down. I wanted to spend less than 200 on an old board. I offered him 300 and he turned it down, can’t go higher than that.

What do you think about this one though. Nice and cheap cause it’s a factory second:

BIAS Super Fish   6’8” x 20 5/8 x 2 7/8

Very, very tempted to get this. $250! And cheap postage too. Is this a good option?

Looks the good mate. I think that’s your best option so far.

Guys, just a friendly reminder not to post eBay links. Please just post a photo of the board and the details. smile

(If you could go through and edit out the links, that would be great).

Mate, that looks like a very good option!!!!!

Without ever having ridden one myself, I can’t vouch for the shaping 100%, but it does look like the right style of board for what ya want!!!!!

Sorry boss downer
I’ll edit them all out. Now I understand why you edited them to make the pictures show. I thought you were just being a nice guy LOL  my bad

Hehe all good mate. smile

I hope you don’t mind me dropping in on your thread Andy but it seems to be pretty much in line with what I’m after so hoping I could get a little advice as well.

I currently struggle on a loaned NSP epoxy 6"6’ shortboard. When I say struggle it’s mostly my paddle speed seems slower than most other surfers (probably technique) and my duck-diving is pretty hopeless.

I’ve been considering a fibreglass fish for a while but don’t know if it will be a waste of money (my ability being the limiting factor rather than the board)

In the end I just want to catch more waves rather than the few I’m getting each session.

The $250 board Andy has just posted has caught my eye being 5"7’ and 70kg looking to ride 1-4ft beach breaks what type of size/board would you guys recommend?

Cheers

Something along the lines of the board that Andy has found would also be suitable for you, DRC!!!!!

Given your weight, maybe even something around the 6’4” length would be better!!!!!

The NSP Epoxy is a great board to learn on, but it is quite a weighty board due to it’s almost indestructible construction!!!!!

This added weight might be the thing that is slowing your paddling speed down a bit?????

It also may very well have taken on water through previous damage if it’s a second hander????? Which in return will increase it’s weight as well!!!!!

Thanks Mizu. The weight of the NSP has definitely been my biggest concern as it definitely feels heavy, which is why I originally started looking at fibreglass boards. It’s in pretty good condition just a chip on the nose after a young Japanese girl learning on a mal used me and the board as a speed hump.

I’ve gone through a few thought processes in regards to surfing. The first was to give up and stick to swimming, the second was get a mal and learn from scratch, the third was get some lessons and now possibly considering a fish.

I don’t want to fall into the trap of blaming the equipment if it’s really just me that’s the problem. I think lessons are going to be inevitable (have no surfing friends to guide me) but I’m trying to work out whether dumping money into a new board (that is potentially more suited to me) will aid in upping my wave count and rekindle a love of surfing.

The size was the other sticking point as I know people downsize on fish boards but I’m never quite sure if the charts are allowing for lowly skilled riders. Going off 7S chart they recommend me a 5’9-6’3 but I don’t want a board that I can’t balance on.

Hey drc, that board I’m looking at getting is by a company named BIAS surfboards. I can’t say anything about them because I haven’t got the board yet.
But I can tell you they are selling factory seconds really cheap right now and they make that board in quite a few sizes 6’8, 6’6, 6’4 etc. I’m sure they have a size to fit you, no matter what purpose you want it for

Hey Surf techy people. Can someone tell me what the purpose of those spikey bits on the rails near the end of the board is?

My guess was they give the water a surface to push the board forward with, but I’m just having a shot in the dark.

And why is it a fish floats easier than a normal short board? It can’t just be the tail can it?

I am just a casual surfer, DRC - I bodyboard most of the time and standup a bit, but don’t take it to any level of seriousness. I have a 7’6” mini-mal that I got second hand in good condition. Its been brilliant. Big enough size to easily catch waves, do the odd turn and get me stoked. No chance of duckdiving it but it eskimo rolls very well and it isn’t too difficult to hang on to.

I would recommend something like that for both of you. If you get super into it and want to try and get barreled then you might want to upgrade later on, but in the mean time, you’re guaranteed to enjoy yourself on a board like this.