The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Whistler Blackcomb Staff Housing? 2012 / 2013

Hey everyone,

I’m heading over to Whistler Blackcomb this 2012-2013 season, and I’m just wondering if anyone has any suggestions/tips on the staff housing? I’ve heard bad things about Glacier and it’s making me super nervous since that’s where I initially said my preference would be, (HOUSE sent me some options, I picked Building 7 Glacier for the single rooms 4 to a place).

Sadly I’ve started to hear better things about Brio and Westside, only after I sent in my request, and I’m starting to panic. I’m 22 years old and not really in the whole 19 year old, first-year-kegger scene… Is Glacier really that bad?

Help!

no way to change your preference?

at least you have your own room to hide in!

Well I’m HOPING I can grab a single room/4 to a place. It’s really wherever they choose to place me in the end. I can change my preference, (still doesn’t promise much) but I’m wondering if I really need to.. I just really like how central Glacier is.

yeh well I’d say they would put girls in singles first and then you have to hope you get 3 other ok people haha. Someone on here tmrw will know for sure. I have never done a season there, only in europe so I’m not much help sorry smile

Hey!

Im pretty sure there is no preference of girls getting private rooms. Canada is very strong on age and gender equality.. You are very unlikely to get a private room. You will most likely be in a shared bunk room.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/staff-housing-and-registration/index.aspx

I lived in glacier for one winter my girlfriend lived there for 3! Its definitely not a quiet place. I is also an awesome place to meet people and have a lot of fun!
and its ski in ski out!

Brio is nice for sure and creekside better again.

If you are a very quiet private person it could suck a bit. But if your hating it you can always just try and find your own place. If you get there and hate it give us a call we might be able to help but we are normally sold out that time of year.. We only have a couple of places left right now

If you want to look for your own place this page is useful

http://www.rideonwhistler.com/Whistler_Season_Guide/Finding_Accommodation/

Good news is that Building 7 was refurbished over the summer so you’ve made the best possible choice out of the available buildings up there.

Honestly if you’re going there not knowing anyone and don’t mind a bit of a party then you shouldn’t have too many issues - you’ll meet a tonne of people and it’s a whole lot easier location wise as you’ve already mentioned. As far as the party scene goes, honestly it’s not that bad, it’s really what you make of it - I know HA’s who live up there and pretty much never party and prefer just the odd casual drink instead.

For the most part of the season the gondola to get up there runs until 8pm with the tube park so it’s pretty easy to get all your shopping etc back up there as compared to brio which is around a 10-15min walk from the grocery stores in the village.

Having visited all 3 areas - westside is by far the quietest, but it’s a pain in the ass location wise and you’ll need a bus pass to get to work every day, brio rooms are a touch bigger and don’t have bunks which is a bit of a perk, but you’re walking to and from the whole time. Glacier does have the smallest rooms but you’ll meet an absolute tonne of people living up there and its ride in and out which is pretty damn cool.

Ew bunks! if you aren’t lanky like me Bunks are ok I am guessing. I just stayed at a backpackers and even lying diagonal I was hanging over the edge by half a foot up over the railings. worst sleep ever!

Yeah I was a bit shocked by the bunks too! No staff housing that I have ever stayed in has had bunks! Always twin beds.

ozgirl - 05 October 2012 03:28 AM

Yeah I was a bit shocked by the bunks too! No staff housing that I have ever stayed in has had bunks! Always twin beds.

The staff rooms at the lodge in smiggs have bunks and a single.I was also lucky enough (read annoying/angry/tall) to get the single every time. I don’t mind staying in a tiny rat hole but I need enough room to sleep and then I am fine! haha

Each staff housing lodge has its pros and cons. Glacier has the smallest rooms as finney mentioned, but it’s a very social place and you can’t beat the location, being right on Blackcomb mountain. Again, being on the mountain can also be a pain in the ass i.e. when trying to get home at night (staff housing bus - and they only run till a certain time I believe). During the day and the afternoons you can ride the gondola for free right up to Glacier staff housing.

Brio is nicer but you’ll need to walk to and from the village (probably about 10 minutes). You could buy a bus pass, but it would be a waste being that close to the village (one stop away). Personally Brio would be my pick - close to the village and not as small as Glacier.

Westside is really nice but it’s a solid bus ride away from the village, and even Creekside for that matter. Great housing, bad location.

So each has good and bad points. The key is make the best of your situation and have a great time. Don’t sweat the small things, always look on the bright side of things (ski in / ski out accommodation for such a small fee) and you’ll be sure to have an amazing season! Let us know how it goes.

Yeah being up the mountain in glacier just means being aware of what time the gondola closes and making sure you get your shopping done prior to that to avoid getting the bus back up etc. When it comes to getting home late at night if there isn’t a bus for a while theres always enough people to split a cab with which comes to $1-2 each (cheaper than the $2.50 for the bus) or you just walk up the hill with others which isn’t a huge deal.

Alexandraa44 - 04 October 2012 02:51 PM

. I’m 22 years old and not really in the whole 19 year old, first-year-kegger scene… Is Glacier really that bad?

Help!

This sentence made me laugh.

You are 22 and not into partying? what is wrong with you? hell im 25 and still into keg parties!

maybe she just really likes snowboarding.

Thanks so much for all your advice guys! I feel so much better about Glacier now that you’ve thrown out a bunch of pros and cons. Thanks Finney for letting me know that building 7 was recently refurbished! Gives me some hope haha. And Deanobruce, it’s not that I don’t party, I’d just rather not be stuck in a house with 3 19 yr old girls getting drunk for the first time (not that there’s anything wrong with that! I was once THAT girl too lol). Of course I enjoy my fair share of ripping it up till the wee hours of the morning, but I also enjoy a good nights sleep too smile.

Another little positive, Glacier staff has a little canteen where you can buy a decent dinner for about $5. I used to use it a couple times a week..

Yeah good point about that, the staff dinners at 18 below at Base 2 are a great way of saving cash and getting a good meal. I think they went up to $6 in 2010/2011. I ate there most nights to be honest as it was better value for money than cooking for myself and provided a good variety of meals. If you get on well with the guys serving you’ll get a huge meal. I’d usually get double serves of food if there weren’t too many people up there.