The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

GoPro HD - does anyone use it for the snow season?

Hey Danny,
the SD cards you are using should be fine. Always difficult with diagnosing this stuff. First thing I would do is use a card reader to see if it is a card problem? that will bypass the camera. If the card is the problem, it is either the card itself or the way the cam is recording onto the card. If you think it is the cam, there may be a glitch n the firmware, I would suggest returning it under warranty , that being the case, and get them to have a look at it for you. Mine come back a treat when that happens. See how you go smile

I think you may be off track Sportscamera (Doc or Petra?) sounds more like the computers are struggling with HD format.

This is the reason many new computers have such massive engines in them these days eg; MacBook Pro with 2.66GHz/8GB memory. My PowerBook couldn’t playback HD files smoothly - even stuff it created (1.67GHz/2.5GBram).
I’m suggesting it’s not the card or the camera but the format “High Definition”.

NOTE: I’ve recently found out

all

HD headcams do not have 1080p censors. They upscale the footage to 1080p in camera and are actually loosing image quality in doing so. I’ve been cut to ribbons for 3 years telling people HD is a sales gimmick. ^proof. HD doesn’t mean better footage!!
I’ll guess that some manufactures use a wider lens and upscaling software in their SD models and whack up the price. You can do the same thing with free software off the net and a $10 lens
It’s what I do to my Vidz on my PowerBook (that can’t play HD but produces it); shot at 480p (720X480)-high res SD, then upscale to 1280X720 (HD) before upload so it has a HD tag on Vimeo or YouTube that tricks you into believing it looks better when it is actually worse.
(Until the VIO.HD hits our shore later this month-true 1920X1080p censor)

No. 1 rule in digital imaging
The more times it’s altered = the more quality lost. Do as little processing as possible.

Been cranking out my GoPro for a year now, cant fault it, never have problems running the vids, but then again im on a quad core I7 Mac. Only thing i hate is the cropped and upscaled 960p sensor, i havn’t been able to justify using it in 1080 as the image sucks and the angle drops. Also have a Contour 1080p which has the same problems. looks like they are all using a similar sensor. Been looking for a True HD 1080 P native camera for a while now, after reading the above post looked it up and found this

http://www.launchhelmetcams.com.au/blog/vio-pov-hd-announced

looks to be pretty awesome, fair bit more pricey then the GoPro but Native HD mmmmmmm

I also sell the vio camera’s stopdrop, if your interested in buying one you REALLY should contact me.

BTW the POV.HD arrival has been put off until Dec this year.

...also see my postings about POV.HD https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1353/

oh ok, i found launch on the Vio website which idicated them as the aussie dealers. cool camera but, might look into it in december if funds permit.

stopdropROFL - 09 November 2010 05:18 AM

oh ok, i found launch on the Vio website which idicated them as the aussie dealers. cool camera but, might look into it in december if funds permit.

^This is the reason you should contact me.

I’m listed on the vio site here http://www.vio-pov.com/vio_dealers/rental.php

ok cool thanks, didnt see that link

do you know anything about the connectors on the POVHD my friend has the 1.5 and hes found the pins are pretty easy to snap?

Oh yeah I know about snapping those pins! done a few myself.

I have yet to pull one apart to see if I can fix them and have a bag full of em - vio claim they can’t be fixed but I’ll give anything a go.

I have been selling my second hand camera heads and was discounting them further if I was sent the broken ones. But don’t have any ATM. I started using thread locker on the connector to prevent it coming loose and unless you plan to use the H2O bag is a good idea. Using the H2O bag you need to remove the camera head to put it in the bag. With thread locker removing the cam head requires a bit of force and using force on this connector is not a good idea. It’s the only weak part of the camera and needs to be treated with great respect! The POV cams are military grade and very, very tough - I consider them the toughest video camera on earth.

Also the recorder body screws can come loose so it’s a good idea to apply thread locker there but be careful not to over tighten them as it will weaken the rubber seal - if in any doubt you should contact me and see if I can do it for you (postage costs only) if if the Sydney area a time can be arranged.

Sorry I didn’t answer your question there. I haven’t held a POV.HD (very few in the world people have) I will ask my contact at VIO (who has) but I assume it is the same connector as the POV.1.5

I’ve been watching the gopro vids recently and I feel myself switching from the want category to the NEED! arghhhhhhh
will prob order one next week

It would be wise to wait until after christmas.

just trying to figure out which mount would be best for my helmet…

anyone wear the headstrap over their helmet?

I haven’t seen anyone mount it that way. I’m guessing you would get more movement and vibrations with the head strap. Let me know if it works though.