The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Backside Shuvit

I’m trying to do backside shuvit but my board always goes far away behind me.what should I do?

Backside shuvit? I’ve never had trouble with back shuvs going behind me. Is the board board pinning like a front or back 180?

i don’t think so.cause when i’m doing it, its just like im kicking the board backwards and the board goes back.i can’t catch the board. -.-

Are you regular or goofy, and is the board spinning clockwise or anticlockwise. Im just getting confused as to which way you are doing it

i’m regular foot.and i’m kicking it with my back foot so it goes anticlockwise.

oh.i think its wrong.i’m getting confused too. -.-

Hey bud, the trick you’re attempting is called a front shuv (i know that might seem confusing because it’s going behind you but) think of it like your board is doing a front 180 and you’re staying straight.

Now because it keeps landing behind you (I assume you mean behind your heels) what you want to do is over exaggerate the amount you jump backwards when you try it, so jump way more towards your heels than you think you’ll need.

we’ve got a trick tip hopefully dropping really soon on this one, so if you don’t have any more luck in the mean-time, sit tight!

Yeh, its a Front Shuv, which is what I thought you were trying.

Agree with what cameron has said above. You are over exaggerating it too much, trying to spin it too hard. A front shuv actually doenst require much movement at all.

You really dont move your front foot much, it just guides the board into position of catch. I’m assuming you are trying to flick it back with your front foot. Watch a trick tip of a front shuv and it will look like the front foot almost doesnt move.

Ideally, you shouldnt be jumping forwards or backwards (towards your toes or heels) when doing them. You do a scoop with your back foot to spin it. The front foot almost acts like a pivot point of the spin above the centre of the board waiting for the catch.

ok.thanks guys. it helped me a lot. smile

yep, exactly what k2 said, if i can just add: when you’re really comfortable with them you should be moving toe or heelside, but as you learn them it can help to jump heel side if thats where your board is ending up, then as you get them more consistently you’ll naturally start doing them more effortlessly.

I found personally that if I have my back foot in the corner of the tail it helps with scooping action for the front side pop shuv. Keeping the front foot just behind the bolts and pretty centered makes the difference with keeping the board fairly centered once popped.

Reason why it is called a F/S pop shuv is from my understanding, because the board rotates in the F/S rotation. Skating can be confusing that way.

Here is a useful clip to help remember the F/S and B/S