The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best Snowboard for Jumps and drops

Need some expect advice again guys,,

I’m starting shopping again for my new gear and this year I’m going a different route… I currently own a Lib Tech Banana Magic and all around its a sweet ass board told it all over Colorado last season and it held up very well. Then I picked up a Jones Hovercraft and hit Baker also a sweet choice the ultimate powder board.. But I want to add a few to my collection first of all I want a sweet board for messing around in the park to practice to back country drops because I’m heading to Whistler this year and I’m definitely wanna hit come sweet jump / cliff drops so I need a board that is forgiving and something I can hit jumps in the park for practice.

Any Suggestions on what kind of board im thinking rocker for sure, maybe a Arbor I hear great things about there true rocker tech also suggestions about flex I would like a soft flex board so I can mess around but whatever is better for jumps

thank you

When people say ‘messing around in the park’ I always imagine spins off little jumps, presses on boxes, butters, handpants etc. Stuff I’d recommend a smaller, softer flex rocker board for. For back country jumps and drops I’d recommend almost the opposite; a longer, stiffer cambered board for stability at speed and to pull you out of trouble if you don’t get those landings perfect.

AJ2theC - 19 August 2012 10:22 PM

When people say ‘messing around in the park’ I always imagine spins off little jumps, presses on boxes, butters, handpants etc. Stuff I’d recommend a smaller, softer flex rocker board for. For back country jumps and drops I’d recommend almost the opposite; a longer, stiffer cambered board for stability at speed and to pull you out of trouble if you don’t get those landings perfect.

that’s pretty much what I was thinking, too, unless you’re talking about big park jumps.

I’m a big fan of YES CamRock for all-round Whistler shredding. Something like the YES Greats would be ideal. The CamRock is super versatile for park, pow, carving and whatever else the mountain throws at you. If you want something to cover park and pow drops, definitely consider one of the YES boards. You’ll probably see Tadashi, DCP, Mikey Pederson and the other YES crew shredding up at Whistler Peak at some point during the season.

Well I want to practice with small jumps in the park then progressive to big jumps also in the park so then when I hit the back country i got some confidence to atleast know I can hopefully stick the landings but you guys are saying to go with Camber for jumps????? Catchy no?? I worry if I don’t stick the landings right during practice then ill wipe out.. also Camber for back country ??? all that powder i don’t know hmmm Ive been looking around and NS Proto is looking tempting but that soft flex also Ive been hearing good things about the Riders Choice and some mentioned earlier about Flow Shifty w the blunted tips so as you can see its all over the place…

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys

Also if I were to go with a board like you mentioned first for “messing around the park” what kind of a transition would it be go get a different / opposite board for the back country to hit those jumps and drops also recommends for either boards would be great appreciated.. Currently own a Banana Magic, a Hovercraft, with Ride Maestro bindings and DC Judge boots

rider26 - 20 August 2012 02:16 AM

I’m a big fan of YES CamRock for all-round Whistler shredding. Something like the YES Greats would be ideal. The CamRock is super versatile for park, pow, carving and whatever else the mountain throws at you. If you want something to cover park and pow drops, definitely consider one of the YES boards. You’ll probably see Tadashi, DCP, Mikey Pederson and the other YES crew shredding up at Whistler Peak at some point during the season.

Thank you,

Heard alot about these boards CamRock seems sweet,, you think if would be good even during practice in the park? Also you recommend the Greats for sure??? Any size recommendations ??? Im 5’6” 165lbs

After testing a YES Camrock board (The Basic) last year, I wrote what could be considered a ‘glowing’ review, and ended up buying one.

To follow up on that review:

Among the boards I have taken with me to the snow this current season are a Burton Nug, a Burton X8, a Burton Vapor, a Signal Park Rocker, a Capita Indoor Survival FK and a Capita Charlie Slasher FK. Three of these boards I have ridden for a few hours before switching back to the YES. Every other minute on snow this season has been on the YES. It’s that good.

Lester86 - 20 August 2012 02:24 AM

Well I want to practice with small jumps in the park then progressive to big jumps also in the park so then when I hit the back country i got some confidence to atleast know I can hopefully stick the landings but you guys are saying to go with Camber for jumps????? Catchy no?? I worry if I don’t stick the landings right during practice then ill wipe out.. also Camber for back country ??? all that powder i don’t know hmmm Ive been looking around and NS Proto is looking tempting but that soft flex also Ive been hearing good things about the Riders Choice and some mentioned earlier about Flow Shifty w the blunted tips so as you can see its all over the place…

you might be planning a bit too far ahead!  Anyway, we’re really just telling you what the conventional wisdom is; ie. smaller softer board for jibs and butters, bigger stiffer board for big airs and pipe.  Rider’s advice seems good - the camrock profile would be good for all purposes with good performance in pow, and nice and easy to learn on.

Lester86 - 20 August 2012 02:27 AM

Heard alot about these boards CamRock seems sweet,, you think if would be good even during practice in the park? Also you recommend the Greats for sure??? Any size recommendations ??? Im 5’6” 165lbs

Yes, it would be an awesome board to learn and progress on. The Greats would be my board of choice for Whistler but you should check out their entire range and see what appeals to you. Even something like the Basic could be a good call. A bit mellower and cheaper as well. Although I think the Basic is moving to an extruded base next year, in which case I would stick to the Greats. At your height and weight, I’d say the 154 would be a good all-round size for you in Whistler.

rider26 - 20 August 2012 04:28 AM

I think the Basic is moving to an extruded base next year

A seriously BAD move in my less than humble opinion! One of the biggest selling points about The Basic was that it was anything BUT ‘basic’!!! No so any more.

So I’ve been looking at the YES boards and I’m definitely interested the question is which one to pick ????? I checked the new product line coming in for 2013 and here’s what I got

http://birdseyeboardshop.com/2012/03/2013-yes-now-board/
http://www.shayboarder.com/2012/02/yes-snowboards-2012-2013.html

THE PICK YOUR LINE
Ride: All Mountain + Pow
Flex: Med/Stiff + Directional
Outline: Directional + Tranga Maction
Base: Sintered, Die-Cut Base
Glass: Carbon + Kevlar + FLB
Core: Master Composite Core
Sidewalls: Rubber + ABS Sidewalls

I like this one appears to be the top of the line, whats Tranga Maction when i first read it i saw Mega traction lol also smallest size is 156 might be too big for me

THe Greats
Ride: F/S + All Mountain
Flex: Medium + Twin
Outline: Twin, Asymmetrical Sidecut + Ultimate Grip
Glass: Triax

Im all for the twin shapes, especially when hitting jumps but how will it do in Pow? also any feedback on the Asymmetrical Sidecut? I get the concept but haven’t used it ever.  150, 152, 154 ??? For a 5’6” 165lbs dude

THE TROUBLE
Ride: Park + All Mountain
Flex: Medium + Twin
Outline: Twin + Tragna Maction

Twin CamRock so thats good and Tragna Maction again tell me thats something that helps with edge hold.  only comes in 154 or 158

THE BASIC
Ride: F/S + All Mountain
Flex: Med/Soft +Twin
Base: Extruded, Die-Cut
Core: Master Comp Core

lookin good and theres alot of talk about it but what about edge hold? Im guessing it will be better in Pow then the true twin also size wise 150, 152, 155? for me

Lots of boards with CamRock the question is should I go with Twin or Directional because that might narrow it down a little also size 150-154 for me that also narrows it down a little more, the last one would be stiffness but most have med stiffness the Basic appears to be the softest

again any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Pick Your Line is really a big-mountain / all-mountain type board. I wouldn’t suggest it unless you really want to focus on riding big, fast lines. Not what you’re looking for.

The Greats rides great in pow. That’s what the CamRock profile is there for; rockered nose and tail equals float. This will handle any pow you will experience in Whistler. The Asym sidecut works really well. I rode the 2013 Greats in Whistler for a week last season. It basically just gives you a tighter heelside turn. Get it on edge and it turns really effectively.

Tragna Maction is a serrated/wavy edge. Basically gives you more edge hold in icy conditions.

The Basic is a solid board but extruded for next year as I mentioned. I wouldn’t use an extruded board in Whistler unless you’re tight on budget. Less wax absorption, slower and doesn’t hold momentum as well. Stick to a sintered base for Whistler.

My pick would be the Greats. One of the best all-round boards on the market in my opinion.

Well you’ve sold me Rider, I want to try a Greats now!

Will we have some at the Shred? 57-58 Size perhaps? smile

Ummmmm jackpot jez u better have one at the shred smile

Tragna Maction????  Are you serious?  I guess imitation is the sincerest form or flattery.

Dan83 - 20 August 2012 10:47 AM

Well you’ve sold me Rider, I want to try a Greats now!

Will we have some at the Shred? 57-58 Size perhaps? smile

Dan my mate as one he will have it at the shred if Jez doesn’t bring it i am sure he will let you test it.