The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Australia winter wonderland festival (Snowing in Sydney

Just heard about this, Sydney did a winter wonderland last year.  It included a (Ice) skating rink, a snow machine, a chalet that supplied hot chocolate and to give that “ski” hill feel.

Now what I want to know is which one of the amazing snowboard companies out there is going to take this to the next level and build a mini jib area, or killer 1\4 pipe and have a sick comp and bring in some of there riders.

Check the link… May be we can get Yes, Burton, Siege and some of the other great sponsors of boardworld to work on something like this.  I have seen a 20 foot 1/4 pipe set up in downtown Calgary in Canada in the middle of summer it was at least 30 degrees out and freaking amazing!

http://www.winterfestival.com.au/

Sounds like that needs to happen, if it is called a Winter Festival… of course it does.
Some local shops should get involved too.

Email the promoter or person that is organizing the events and make the suggestion. in fact mention the companies that you listed, Burton, Siege and Yes.
There is a way to contact them via the website under “contact us”
Let us know what they say.

Interesting thought…

I’m going to send this around to see what people think.

I think it’s a lot harder in Australia to get snow to Sydney and keep it there for anything more than a couple of hours, even in winter. Unless of course it’s indoors and kept cold at the ice rink.

There’s always the option to build a jib setup using Snowflex with a run-in ramp or something.

There is a group in Melbourne called City Snow Events who run set ups like this. They do it with snow or snowflex and have a stair/handrail set up. They recently did the Melbourne Uni rail jam.
here is their facebook page. I dont think they have a full website up yet.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=89786710311&v=info&ref=ts

Maybe there is someone in Sydney who runs a similar thing?

The real problem in making snow for events in the city is the temperature. All the snow making systems around the world need at least -0 Celsius degrees, except the cryogenic one, that is the one we use. All the other solutions are crushed/shaved ice or ice powder; but if you want real snow around Australia, we are the only people who can make it in any temperature. From -20 to +42 Celsius degrees.

Check out our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/The-snow-maker/123288474380873?ref=ts

May be something is happening in Sydney next year…..

“Winter Festival” on Central Coast. July 9-10, 2011
We have the venue, KIncumber Hotel, its huge, has a big lawn out the back, and open fire inside for hanging into the night.

Prize money sorted, Coca Cola love it, “Canadian Club” will be there.
Music is sorted local and loud.
We need someone to build the take off, and rail.
I have all the snow covered, can ship it in on the day

I am fully pumped to make this thing happen….

Any support/help/advice would be awesome

what if you talk to the people at ESS who have a take off and rail for their comp that they run in may every year? maybe they could sponsor that in return for the hook up of the gear?

sounds like a sick idea! My mate will go in it if you run the comp! haha

This is the number for ESS at Erina, in case that helps. 02 4365 2355

good luck!