The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Learning Shuvit Without Rolling?

I have a pretty crap board right now (waiting for my new one to arrive) and it doesn’t roll very well. I’ve been trying to practise the shuvit but without rolling and I was just wondering if this is a good idea/possible, or perhaps it’s just another trick. I have yet to land it :(

i learnt it without rolling first

Is it harder to shuvit without rolling?

hmm, not sure, but I think you slam harder if you’re rolling

Ah alright. It feels trying to shuvit standing still because I can’t help but turn my body whilst trying

i can land it when not rolling, but when i do it rolling i only land one foot, i need to commit

That’s probably why I can’t land it, I need to commit too

ino, its just the fear of falling, i want to do a shuvit so much shock

I’m more worried of the board smacking into my leg really hard most of the time mostly since I’m close(r) to the ground

on a shuvit, the board won’t smack your leg. If you’re not rolling you might land too far back and the board will slide out = slam. if you’re rolling, the same can happen, as well as the board not being straight and you slamming again

It sometimes smacks my leg when I miscalculate where to land my foot or when I turn the board too much. I’ve slammed so many times as well, sigh.

are you sure you’re not doing a pop shuvit?

Possibly… My back trucks don’t leave the ground though

Gamblor - 21 July 2012 02:12 PM

on a shuvit, the board won’t smack your leg. If you’re not rolling you might land too far back and the board will slide out = slam. if you’re rolling, the same can happen, as well as the board not being straight and you slamming again

even when you do a shuvit,if you put your foot down, the board sometimes will smack your shin

ah ok. everyone’s got their own way of ‘building up’ to a trick. I’ve never been smacked by board on a shuvit. It’s just the way I half bail

I’ve been smacked plenty times in the shins when trying backside pop shuvits. Just doing shuvits you most likely wont, but when you introduce pop into the mix its a different story. To pop shuv you push harder down and scoop your back foot, so the board pops up to shin height and spins faster. What can happen is you dont return your back foot faster enough or high enough for the catch and BAM! Shinnys all round LOL
Front pop shuvits not so much.
Big difference between a Shuvit (which is basically allyou do. Shuv the board around), and a Pop Shuvit (where the board pops up off the ground, spins and pops up into your feet for a catch).