The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Melbourne Storm

So what’s everyone reckon about what came out today with the Storm breaching the salary cap for a few years?

Not a good thing to happen to rugby league

Rugby league has gone down hill. The players make the sport look terrible with their childish behaviour off field now this!?

Karma!

No wonder I converted to following Union!

amen.

i lost a lot of interest a couple of years ago when the bulldogs started playing up.

I heard on the radio that all betting has been suspended, after a string of suspicious $10,000 bets for Melbourne to get the wooden spoon. They obviously had insider information and assumed Melbourne would lose a lot of competition points.

i heard that one as well although i heard a lot more than ten grand.

you’ve got to feel sorry for anyone involved in the team, be it players, fans, coaching staff, admin, who genuinely didn’t know. They would have put their arses into winning those premierships only to have it taken away by just a few cheats.

Always the way, huh?

snowcrazy - 22 April 2010 12:09 PM

Rugby league has gone down hill. The players make the sport look terrible with their childish behaviour off field now this!?

Karma!

No wonder I converted to following Union!

i totally agree with this statement, league has been dropped out of my life in the last few years, time to move to another sport!!

Is it just me or do you think the salary cap should be removed all together? Players and coaches should be paid at their true market value. It’s one of the reasons so many league players move overseas or change codes.

yeah i agree, it seems to create more problems than it solves.

I heard on JJJ today that people reckon if there was no salary cap then teams like the Cronulla Sharks couldn’t afford to stay in the league. However, do you reckon it’d be better to lose one team like the sharks (nothing against them) but raise the quality of the league? Would that happen?

I think it definitely would. It’s only fair to pay players and coaches what they are worth. With other codes and overseas teams throwing around more money, it’s too tempting for our best players to chase a better career. At the end of the day it’s not that they are disloyal to the game, but this is their living, they will do what’s right for themselves financially.

I read an article in the newspaper yesterday by Phil Gould. He raised some really good points. Melbourne developed so many of those players into the quality players they are today. The salary cap needs to be scrutinised and changed for the modern game.

to be honest, ill be pissed off to find out that they were cheating.. btu really once you play a games of footy against of other blokes do you really care baout how much they gettign paid??? i think in 2007 roosters were coming close to the bottom and won a game against them..