The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Photo feedback and Critique

Great work spaz. really like the sequence shot figure with a few touch ups like the ones you mentioned it could be a sweet photo.  I think it could use one more shot… Just the landing is missing but he would have been cropped out a bit.  Sure you figured all these things out by now. 

Thanks for the great tips on shooting in the snow.  Sending you a msg about a job to.

getting a job there would be a great start to a photography career

Alright, since the SoHe photo comp has started, I thought I’d bump this thread.  Put your up best shots and see what we like or don’t like about them

I went out the other night to take some photos of Sydney at night. This is what I was able to capture.

It was my first time taking photos properly with the SLR, so please give me feedback on what I can do better.

I will put up the other photos later.

great photo.

If that tree wasn’t on the left hand side it would be much better.

hmm, agreed. The tree sorta does leave a black spot in the composition. Either would have been good if it was removed, or you took a longer exposure for the tree and did some HDR to bring it into the pic. Other then that, it looks really good. Well balanced and certainly not overblown like I see people do with lots of night shots.

zhenjie - 11 June 2010 04:10 AM

hmm, agreed. The tree sorta does leave a black spot in the composition. Either would have been good if it was removed, or you took a longer exposure for the tree and did some HDR to bring it into the pic. Other then that, it looks really good. Well balanced and certainly not overblown like I see people do with lots of night shots.

Thanks for the feedback, I know that the tree was in the way but unfortunately the only angle to get the skyline was with the tree in the way.

What do you mean by take a longer exposure of just the tree and do some HDR to bring it into the pic? What would that do to the photo?

This stuff is all new to me so I don’t know any of the lingo yet.

the horizon looks off. did you use a wide lens or did you stitch this?

hdr means shooting in raw and processing the same raw files 2 to 3 times - once optimising the highlights and once optimising the shadows, and if needed once for the midtones.

longer exposure means you use a tripod and set the shutter speed to stay open for a longer amount of time. This lets more light in, and the tree will be brighter. Not sure how this will affect the highlights in the buildings. Maybe it might blow them out?

I did take the photo with a wide angle lens.

I’m not too sure how I would go about shooting in raw and then processing them 2-3 times. Does that mean it’s done in photoshop? or some other program?

it can be done with any raw converter program and then you put them together in photoshop. You can do it all in photoshop too

he’s a bit soft, plus he didn’t land it so it’s a throwaway. Any thoughts?

At this size he doesnt look to soft.  You got some great composition and some really good leading lines through the frame.  Getting down a little lower might cut the fisherman’s vest out of the photo ( I find the little bit of yellow in it pulls my eyes away from the subject) Even a little post to desaturate the colour in it would help.  Upping the colour in the sky would be good to add a bit of colour to the overall image as it all seems a little dull (on the colour side of things).

All of these are just minor things that could boost a few things but really mate its a solid image.

Hi all,

Here’s a shot taken last weekend at my local hill in Tassie, still a little way to go before opening (as you can see) so no boarding shots as of yet! First post so go easy!  I bought a dslr about a month or so ago and have been having a great time with it ever since.

I used HDR (3 shots) for this one. I think I could of used a smaller aperture as its a bit soft in most areas when magnified. Any thoughts?

Im looking at purchasing a wide angle, its probably going to be a 10-20mm f3.5.  Would this be too slow for boarding shots? I have a quick 50mm with f1.4 but the magnification on my camera body (1.6) might make it a little difficult to work with.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Max

Hey Max,

Make sure you check out the Photography Contest.

You’re photo looks great, but I can’t answer your questions. I’m sure the other guys will help you with that.

Welcome to Boardworld! smile

Hi Maxwell,
when shooting landscapes, aim for an aperture above f8 to get a good DOF throughout your shot. Your colours look off. Was the sky actually that colour?
What is the focus of this shot? I mean, what are we supposed to look at? The sky is nice (not including the colour) but that sun is just really ‘jarring’. I actually feel like I’m looking into the sun!
I would have gotten closer and framed it so the lift pole in the middle of the shot became the focus of the photo.

re: wide lenses
I use a 12-24 F4
Slow lenses only become ‘slow’ when you need a wide open aperture. When you’re shooting sports you’ll be mostly shooting at F5.6 so it’s not too relevant unless you’re using flash. Shutter speed is what will freeze the action.