The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Photo feedback and Critique

First time using ND filters on the weekend.

Here is one of the pictures I’m quite happy with and would like a bit of feedback/critique

Sorry about the smaller size. its from my FB instead of uploading the full pic.

Things I think I can work on more are getting the focus a bit sharper.
I should have focused before putting on the filters, locked it off then put them on as it was hard to focus through 2 ND filters.

Otherwise I’m stoked on it and would like to know what you think I could work on…

looks good to me. If I was to nitpick I’d say the tree with the clouds are all loaded on the left side and the right side is open. It’d be nice (maybe) if you had that pink cloud above the tree more to the right.

Cool. Thanks mate. Now that you have mentioned it, I can really notice it. Nothing major but good to be aware of it. Cheers

Looks good to me too. Really like the composition. I agree with Gamblor re: clouds, now that he’s pointed it out. wink

A couple of my favorite shots from my skate adventures over the last year. Been a couple of months since i picked up the camera so would love some feedback as motivation to get back into shooting again.

Favorite shot, taken with iphone 5s

Both taken with Pentax k200d and a sigma fisheye

Good work, ordie. I really like the first shot.

I’d probably step back just a bit in the second shot so you can show the full coping and give it a bit more context and give a better idea of the feature.

Thanks for sharing. thumbsup

Hey Ordie,

What Rider says is true - you’ll always want to have the full obstacle, in this case the quarter pipe, in the frame. A lot of the time you’ll also want to place the skater toward the top of the frame, especially when shooting fisheye and especially when it’s an air trick - you don’t want dead space in the sky. The top corner is often the best spot to place a skater when shooting fisheye, because it means you’ll get the whole obstacle, there’s no dead sky above them, and you get to utilise the most distorted part of the lens.

I see that you’ve tilted the fisheye too, and this can definitely work. Sometimes it’s a good idea for air tricks, because you can get some nice lines with the coping while showing the full obstacle and also getting the skater into the top corner. It’s often a good idea to tilt the camera so that there’s more room in whichever corner you decide to frame them, if that makes sense.

Here’s an example photo. It’s not the best photo ever, just a quick muck-around park photo, but it illustrates a few of my points.

Keep it up man! Trust me, there’s no better way to improve than getting out and shooting photos. I know it can be hard to pick up the camera when you just feel like skating, but just bring it along with you and you’ll find time.

Is it just me or does the guy in the photo above look really “flat”

I do agree with what you’re saying though.

Thanks guys, im definitely picking up what your putting down. My reasoning behind trying to leave out the quarter pipe was because it was small as shit would have taken away from the trick raspberry But after looking at it again i can see how bland it is with half of the shot being the sky.

TJswish - 12 May 2015 03:56 PM

Is it just me or does the guy in the photo above look really “flat”

I do agree with what you’re saying though.

Flat as in squashed? It’s probably the effect of the fisheye. It’s a 14-year-old kid in the photo too, so that might explain it further, haha.

ordie - 12 May 2015 04:51 PM

My reasoning behind trying to leave out the quarter pipe was because it was small as shit would have taken away from the trick raspberry

Always keep the obstacle in there, it will never take away from the trick. Not having the obstacle takes away from the trick more, because we don’t know what’s happening in the photo. smile

It’s definitely the fish eye lol.

Such a nice pics,thanks for sharing

I’m not a professional, but you guys take some really nice photos. Some of them just seemed a little bit bland. I know photoshop is a bit too much, when I did my attempts of taking photos, I used online editors like Movavi Photo Editor for Mac (I’ve got mac, but I’m sure there’s a Windows version as well). It makes me want to get my camera and take some shots smile

photoshop is indeed too much when you use it for the first time, but when you get used to it you realize it’s super powerful tool.