The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

FreeBord Review

Hi Guys, I’m not sure where to put this but i just wanted to get a quick review on FreeBords.

FreeBord’s are amazing, i use it all the time in my down time from snowboarding. I highly recommend it to ALL snowboards. i find it heaps better than long-boards. Mainly because you can’t edge like a snowboard but on Freebords you can.

Warning though DO NOT TRY TO LEAF. If you do you will end up on the middle wheels and stack it. I learn’t this the hard way lol.

If you want any other advice on Freebords just let me know.

I’d love to give one these a go sometime, seems pretty cool. What’s the main difference between the feel of Freebording and smowboarding?

When you wear your wheels down the freebord slides a hell of a lot more. also because the freebords short you feel like you have less control than a snowboard at high speeds (At 60 kp/h’s+). Apart from that they are quite similar, edging feels the same as snowboarding. You get that feel of being at home on the mountain.

You won’t be disappointed if you get a freebord however you need somewhere to ride it. You can’t skate on freebords because of the middle wheels. you just need a good down hill slope.

I personally use a car park in Brisbane city. It’s 9 levels of awesome down hill and you just catch the elevator back up lol.

I’ve been wanting to give one of these a go for awhile now. Just hard to fork out $400 odd without having used one. I’m guessing you need to pad up with helmets and all the rest of it. Looks like you could easily do some damage to yourself on one of these.

HardSnow - 06 July 2012 12:22 AM

When you wear your wheels down the freebord slides a hell of a lot more. also because the freebords short you feel like you have less control than a snowboard at high speeds (At 60 kp/h’s+). Apart from that they are quite similar, edging feels the same as snowboarding. You get that feel of being at home on the mountain.

You won’t be disappointed if you get a freebord however you need somewhere to ride it. You can’t skate on freebords because of the middle wheels. you just need a good down hill slope.

I personally use a car park in Brisbane city. It’s 9 levels of awesome down hill and you just catch the elevator back up lol.

Do you personally like it worn down?

I have quite a few hills around my area so that won’t be an issue. I saw a couple videos where freeborders are grinding on rails and stuff, that was pretty awesome.

Oh man, you’re lucky. Have you ever been caught and kicked out from there?

Dan83 - 06 July 2012 03:42 AM

I’ve been wanting to give one of these a go for awhile now. Just hard to fork out $400 odd without having used one. I’m guessing you need to pad up with helmets and all the rest of it. Looks like you could easily do some damage to yourself on one of these.

I know what you mean, that price tag is a big stretch! You better pad up, falling on cement is going to hurt a hell lot more than snow.

YOU GUYS HAVE to where gear for at least the first 10 times riding. INC risk pads. the amount your middle wheels slide when you don’t edge is scary. Then the first thing you do is put your hand straight down and road a hello of a lot hard then snow lol.

I’ve never been caught maily cause i go with a couple of guys late at night and we watch the entrance. The safest was is boarding down to level 3 then lifting it back up 9 lol.

I was really scared of forking out the 500 for it (I wanted the one from the states) so my amazing wife surprised me with it with all my friends. but it was totally worth it.

Also it is MUCH better when the wheels wear down. because there is so much bite on the wheels when they are new. it’s so much fun just sliding for ages. I highly recommend it.

I’d let you guys try mine but i’m in is brizzy lol. I promise you’ll love it if you miss snowboarding as much as i do.

xnonymous - 06 July 2012 05:34 AM
HardSnow - 06 July 2012 12:22 AM

I have quite a few hills around my area so that won’t be an issue. I saw a couple videos where freeborders are grinding on rails and stuff, that was pretty awesome.

Oh man, you’re lucky. Have you ever been caught and kicked out from there?

Also hills are great fun but they get borring really fast if you don’t have people to drive you up the top. car parks are the best. Make sure you go to enclosed car park if possible. Cause you your legs get sore if you keep sliding on shiny ground and dust.

HardSnow - 06 July 2012 07:54 AM

YOU GUYS HAVE to where gear for at least the first 10 times riding. INC risk pads. the amount your middle wheels slide when you don’t edge is scary. Then the first thing you do is put your hand straight down and road a hello of a lot hard then snow lol.

I’ve never been caught maily cause i go with a couple of guys late at night and we watch the entrance. The safest was is boarding down to level 3 then lifting it back up 9 lol.

I was really scared of forking out the 500 for it (I wanted the one from the states) so my amazing wife surprised me with it with all my friends. but it was totally worth it.

Also it is MUCH better when the wheels wear down. because there is so much bite on the wheels when they are new. it’s so much fun just sliding for ages. I highly recommend it.

I’d let you guys try mine but i’m in is brizzy lol. I promise you’ll love it if you miss snowboarding as much as i do.

Ah man, great. If my wrists don’t break from skateboarding, I’m sure freebords would give them a run for their money. I’ll keep that in mind though, thanks for the heads up.

Oh lucky you. The smoothness of a carpark feels so amazing. Just curious, is the snow as comparably smooth? I’ve never snowboarded before.

Alright, if I ever get one, I’ll remember to wear down ‘em wheels. Too bad I’ll be forking out my own money for a freebord if I ever decide to get one, ah.

Freebording is a lot smoother than snowboarding is some aspects. snowboarding your constantly hitting different bumps/ice, so snowboard always keeps you on your toes. At the same time if you pick a crap road to ride on your freebord it’s one hell of a bad time lol.

I very highly recommend checking out the snow before getting a freebord. Spend like $1k for the best week of your life. Ask any of these guys on the forum. Once your snowboard you never regret it. Unless you break your face or something lol.

HardSnow - 08 July 2012 10:12 PM

Freebording is a lot smoother than snowboarding is some aspects. snowboarding your constantly hitting different bumps/ice, so snowboard always keeps you on your toes. At the same time if you pick a crap road to ride on your freebord it’s one hell of a bad time lol.

I very highly recommend checking out the snow before getting a freebord. Spend like $1k for the best week of your life. Ask any of these guys on the forum. Once your snowboard you never regret it. Unless you break your face or something lol.

hahaha well actually even when you do that you can still have one of the best times ever. I smashed myself halfway through the first day on last years Shred and it is still up there as one of my best trips ever LOL

HardSnow - 08 July 2012 10:12 PM

Hm alright. I’m super excited to try out snowboarding sometime, whenever my family decides to take a trip to the snow (probably next year). HAHA I hope I don’t get too injured trying.

i am a nerd

they seem fun how much does one cost?