The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

TR: USA/Canada - Pics and Skier Warning!!

bish - 04 July 2012 10:09 PM

Azz - I shoot on Canon gear, had a 1DMkIV (my baby!) on the trip, and for lenses theres shots in there from a 15mm fisheye, 24-70, 17-40 and 70-200. I got the most use out of the 17-40 in riding shots. The night shots were done using a 580EX speedlite triggered by a Pocketwizard.

Sorry to go off topic, but….................

Nice kit shaka

Wish we had 1D, so jealous.

We are thinking of lashing out on a 24-70, whats your thoughts?

Main reason for buying (or excuse) is we shoot a conference each year indoors with crap lighting and we cannot use a flash.

L series goes down to 2.8, this the lens you have?

Thoughts?

Awesome photos man!  shaka

On airfares, I flew with Air NZ, and scored flights for around $1800 but had to buy them months in advance. Also I flew in on December 3rd I think, so beat the pre-Christmas hike in prices. The lack of snow was a massive disappointment, but you just have to look on the bright side I guess…

Azz, thanks dude! I’m lucky to have some great gear, even though my bank account looks horrible.

My 24-70 is the 2.8L version. It’s a good all-round lens, I use it for indoors shooting a bit, as well as when shooting events on-the-fly. It’s understandably heavy so not a great travel lens - I’d rather the 24-105 f4L for that. I find it somewhat softer than I would like but I don’t know if that’s just my copy? Colour rendition is spot on, very little distortion or vignetting. It makes great images given decent light so you can stop down just a bit more, but I think it’s a pretty good versatile choice for a working photog.

What sort of focal length do you need? Would a prime lens work for you?

On airfares, I flew with Air NZ, and scored flights for around $1800 but had to buy them months in advance. Also I flew in on December 3rd I think, so beat the pre-Christmas hike in prices. The lack of snow was a massive disappointment, but you just have to look on the bright side I guess…

Azz, thanks dude! I’m lucky to have some great gear, even though my bank account looks horrible.

My 24-70 is the 2.8L version. It’s a good all-round lens, I use it for indoors shooting a bit, as well as when shooting events on-the-fly. It’s understandably heavy so not a great travel lens - I’d rather the 24-105 f4L for that. I find it somewhat softer than I would like but I don’t know if that’s just my copy? Colour rendition is spot on, very little distortion or vignetting. It makes great images given decent light so you can stop down just a bit more, but I think it’s a pretty good versatile choice for a working photog.

What sort of focal length do you need? Would a prime lens work for you?

My mates few out on the 9th dec and just got in with cheaper airfares. on the 10th the shit went up crazy $$$

the newer cameras have amazing iso performance so shelling out the big bucks for a 2.8 lens is not as essential as it once was.

Great photos Bish!