The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What snowboarding gear do you want this season?

I got my new Burton Mololo and Escapade EST bindings that I am just dying try try out.
Hope we get just a little bit of pow on the odd occasion

Well i want some new bindings I think i will go for the union force. Boots I’m trying to find something in my size cause i have some hobbit feet.
Thinking of a Rome agent rocker for a powder board as well. See what happens.

the Rome agent rocker doesn’t seem like the ideal powder board…

I picked up some DC Methvin boots at off season sale prices for well under $200 which I’m looking forward to trying out

Going for a whole new setup this year,
Burton custom X wide 162 (purchased already )
Burton c60 bindings (purchased already )
undecided on boots yet.
not to mention the new outer wear ill probly buy in NZ.
Cant wait to try out the new board   : )

Would really like a backcountry setup this year, think I might try and buy some off the net.
Can’t decide between a split board or snow shoes, my touring buddies have skins and skis, and reckon they’re the shizz way more efficient. 
But I have buddies in Japan who do fine on snow shoes. They’re a lot cheaper to set up, plus I can ride what ever board I want.
MSR EVO ascents would be da bomb!!

i have the evo ascents. I like them.

Splitboard vs snowshoes. You just need to decide whether you usually have a long approach or a short steep one. For long approaches splitboards are best since you can cross country ski it.  With snowshoes, as you mentioned, you can choose which board to ride. ie for deep winter pow you can grab your pow board, for spring bc you can grab your rock board, for the inbetweens you can ride your allmountain board. With a splitter, that’s all you’ve got. They don’t ride as well as a regular board and are heavier. but it is nice to have that weight under your feet rather than on your back as you’re going up.

As you buy your gear don’t forget the most important: a beacon, probe and shovel, and a course to learn how to use them!

Good to hear ya going to venture out the back Kneeboarder! Its where its at.

And yep I agree Gamblor if your going out back you need to be prepared!

My mate and I are about to launch a new Australian Online retail website (should be online in 1 or 2 weeks).

It will be focused around backcountry snowboarding and skiing, and we will be stocking splitboards, snowshoes, splitboard bidnings, packs, probes, beacons, shovels, tents, dehdrated food, etc….  All the gear ya need to get out the back.

I will let ya know when it drops.

Cheers

Adam
theCorniceStore

mate, make sure you let us know once the website comes online.

just ordered a packable down jacket (montbell ex down ->it’s lighter than a tshirt!), an emergency bivy and an arcteryx softshell. Oh and crampons too.
Riding season has ended for me, so now it’s the buying season!

bdenny4 - 04 May 2010 12:02 PM

I got my new Burton Mololo and Escapade EST bindings that I am just dying try try out.
Hope we get just a little bit of pow on the odd occasion

What size did you get? Tambo bought one in 66 for wall art and won’t let me ride it !!!!!!!!

Maybe one day when she is not home….................

Gamblor - 10 May 2010 06:34 AM

i have the evo ascents. I like them.

Splitboard vs snowshoes. You just need to decide whether you usually have a long approach or a short steep one. For long approaches splitboards are best since you can cross country ski it.  With snowshoes, as you mentioned, you can choose which board to ride. ie for deep winter pow you can grab your pow board, for spring bc you can grab your rock board, for the inbetweens you can ride your allmountain board. With a splitter, that’s all you’ve got. They don’t ride as well as a regular board and are heavier. but it is nice to have that weight under your feet rather than on your back as you’re going up.

As you buy your gear don’t forget the most important: a beacon, probe and shovel, and a course to learn how to use them!

What is better for steeper hikes? I know the heel lifters are important. Most likely planning on hiking Feathertop in Spring, and some mid - late season squaw valley, possibly some ridiculously deep jaPOW.

Ooh and good news about the Cornice Store. please tell me you guys are online.

For steeper hikes snowshoes are better. Heel risers save you so must energy so def get a pair with those.
I’m not sure about splitboard bindings, but with touring ski bindings they have heel risers too. So, if you do go the snowshoes way, don’t cheap out and get ‘duck hunter’ snowshoes ie with no heelriser

btw hiking ridiculous deep JAPOW will suck even if you have snowshoes on. (the way down will be sick though)

Hi Kneeboard, yep hopefully we are only a week away from launching the site.

I reckon both splitboards and snowshoes are pretty good for steeps, BUT splitboards are better for deep steeps! 

Splitboards really handle the deep stuff better because they have such a bigger surface area to allow you to float.

Most Snowshoes have traction/grip on toe point, and some also have traction on the outer edges of the snowshoe.  Whereas splitboards have skins, and most splitboard bindings/boards can accomodate crampons that either attach to the binding or the board which allow better grip in icy conditions.

I would defintiely get snowshoes that have heel risers, as they really help you save enrgy on the steeps.  Most splitboards come with a heel riser as part of their kit.  Voile have also just released a dual height climbing heel for splitboards, which will give even more options when climbing.

I’d say that If you are comfortable on skis/2 planks and you are going to be doing long approcahes/touring in fresh snow then go for a splitboard for sure.  If you are sticking with day trips/slackcountry and may come across icy variable conditions then snowshoes may be the answer, especially if your not used to being on skis, cos even though they have a greater surface area, they are have a bit less lateral stability due to their narrower width.

i want new Ride boots to go with my Ride contraband bindings :D
and i want my Dragon sticker!! ive been looking everywhere for those large, circle dragon stickers but i cant find them anywhere. can anyone help?