The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Feedback on my Riding please!

Hi all,

Only just found this forum - I see that there are lots of instructors here including some CASI 3s, so I hope I can get some feedback on my riding, specifically with a view to taking my CASI 3.

Will post video link as soon as it’s finished uploading.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hey nosediver, I am away for the weekend but I will watch your video and reply on Monday.

Do you have CASI 2?

Welcome to Boardworld!

Hi

I watched your clip this afternoon. You definitely have very CASI style. Good arm movement and upper body rotation. For CASI lvl 3 you need to be riding steeper runs and generally be more aggressive to really show off to the edvaluator what you can do. So that means lots of flexion and extension in your turns to really unweight your board fast and drive your board into your turns. Also starting the turns earlier would be required for lvl 3, you can see the snow gets sprayed at the end of your turn about 11 on a clock face you really want to get that snow spraying at 9 oclock for dynamic sliding turns and very little noticeable spray at all for carving turns. You are definitely on the right track, perhaps pass ready. I passed my exam a few years back so not 100% sure of exactly what they need but those are the things I’d work on. best of luck with it all.

cheers

will

Hey nosediver,

I watched your video and it would be beneficial to see more. From what you’ve shown us it’s too difficult to determine whether you are at CASI 3 standard for everything they will be testing you on. I don’t have CASI 3 myself, but I was training for it all last season so I pretty much know what they are looking for. Will is an excellent snowboarder and has his CASI level 3, so definitely take note of his points. From the limited footage I saw these are my observations…

They will definitely look to challenge your riding on steeper and bumpier terrain. As the terrain gets harder, technique flaws become more evident. It would be good to see more riding footage on steeper and bumpier terrain.

Work on shorter radius turns. There is a lot of this in Level 3, especially on the bumps.

Challenge yourself on steeper and bumpier terrain. Make observations when you lose control. Ask yourself why, and try to determine what you need to do to stop it from happening. This will not only help your riding but also help your teaching. Anticipation is a key idea to work on.

Loosen up in your lower body. With down unweighted turns, concentrate on keeping your upper body as still as possible. Anticipate with your upper body, but steer and drive with your lower body.

When carving - sliding in the turns must be eliminated. Work on edging - excellent edging article HERE from a CASI Level 3 Instructor (training for level 4).

I didn’t see any park riding in your video, but that is part of CASI 3 material also. They will test your park riding to some extent. I can’t remember the exact details of this but it should be in the course material below.

Check out the following resources…

CASI Level 3 - (from CASI website)

CASI Level 3 course material - (download PDF)

CASI Level 3 standards video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO2d0vITKnk

STEERING ARTICLE

EDGING ARTICLE

PRESSURE CONTROL ARTICLE

If you have any questions or want to discuss this further, please feel free to do so.

Hey, so i’ve got my CASI level 3 exams in about a week….yeah fun times.  Anyways i’ve been focusing on doing short turns in bumps and steep off piste terrain.  So perhaps a video of you riding on that kind of terrain would help answer your question.  Having said that your in your video your riding looks solid and CASI 3 seems a prudent goal.

I havent looked at this as critically and with much detail as I would like to, but I’d like to first comment that I see an obvious difference between your toe edge vs your heel edge turns.

the more obvious difference is how much more angled you are on your toe edge, and it makes your toe edge turn shaped much differently.

Also I think I see some knee extension ending your turn and initiating your next turn. I dont know if CASI standards encourages this, but it’s an observation.

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your replies, I’ve been away on holiday this week.

I think the general concensus seems to be that it’s hard to tell based on the video whether I’m at a pass-level, as the CASI 3 tests so many different things. Unfortunately for me, the season’s over now and that’ll be it for me on a snowboard until next year.

A few specific points mentioned I completely agree with, edging earler and spraying sideways, working on my heel turns to make them match the edging and radius of the toe turns.

I’d of course appreciate any further comments, but I understand that it’s difficult without more video, which will unfortunately have to wait until next season.

Thanks again

Hey nosediver,

No problems at all. It’s always good to talk with other instructors to learn more about the technicalities of snowboarding.

I encourage you to stay on Boardworld and keep us up to date with your progress. We are here to help.

Keep thinking about your technique and challenge your riding where needed so you can continue to improve.

I can highly recommend reading those articles I listed earlier.

Have a great summer!