The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

solutions to hire boot issues

As I have recently become aware that hire boots are worn down from use, and is a major reason for discomfort.the solutions of cheap alternatives to discomfort experience through hire boots, i have sort after some padded ski/snowboard specific socks. i am yet to go snowboarding again, but just need advice from this knowledgeable community forum, if these standard padded ski socks will provide comfort in my next snow trip.

I am involved with athletes, and see the advantages of compression garments, and would like to know if there is any products on the market, that offers increase bloodflow return (effects of compression garments) and padding… as this would be seemingly ideal for my experienced discomforts.
after countless nights of clicking i have been unable to find a sock that has more benefits than thick cushion padding…
your thoughts and knowledge would be greatly appreciated
Thankyou

I’m not really sure about compression gear etc, I don’t use it and don’t know much about it. If however you’re asking about making rental boots more comfortable, then I think the only thing you can do short of buying your own boots would be to make sure you’re getting the right size boot and switch out the soles with some of your own, whether they be custom or just out of your every day shoes.

buy boots, stop renting!

Yeh buy some remind insoles (google them) and when you hire boots, rip out the standard footbed and put these in. Swap them back out when you return them.

yeah, what deano said…

but also if you are that keen on the compression garments, i’m pretty sure you can buy skins that wear like socks and go underneath or instead of your regular socks. I’ve seen union and soccer players with them.

i wear those when doing deadlifts so the bar doesnt rip skin off my shins, but their proper purpose is to prevent muscle cramps/spasms in the calves so they could work.

Buy some good snowboarding specific socks. The good ones offer support where you need it and multi-density padding to alleviate pressure in key areas.

We will actually be selling some top quality merino wool blend snowboarding socks very soon. They are being manufactured by 3CS (http://www.3csouterwear.com - one of our sponsors). They will be very good quality and they will be selling at a very competitive price. Just as an option. Otherwise, go to your local snowboard store and check out their range of snowboarding socks. Personally I’ve found the top-end Burton socks to be very good.

The footbeds in the boots is a good idea also, but nothing will beat getting your own pair of boots. How much are hire boots these days? Surely it would be costing about $30 a day? That money is better spent buying your own boots.

i have the torpede7 snowboard socks, used them in Tahoe and they worked good.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au

+++ 1 on the socks recommendation !!!

I was really surprised at the difference they make smile

2XU actually make some compression socks (found them last night on the trigger website)

http://triggerbrothersonline.com/shop/products/2XU-Compression-Race-Socks.html

Personally, I’d think general snowboard socks are fine unless you are seeking out the compression component for a specific reason?

And plus 1 on what everyone else said, buy yourself a pair of boots.

On the topic of compression gear though;

3/4 length pants while riding & full length for recovery is the way to go I find.

If you are that keen on renting (so you don’t have to carry your boots or what not, get a pair of footbeds moulded to your feet and then just swap the hire boot footbed for yours while you are riding.

Tobi - 07 June 2012 08:29 AM

On the topic of compression gear though;

3/4 length pants while riding & full length for recovery is the way to go I find.

What is this recovery you speak of?

Is that when your sitting at the bar sinking pints? Thats about all i do after a days riding billy

I think she’s referring to the compression reducing lactic acid build-up in the muscles, so fast recovery and less soreness afterwards.

We really need a sarcasm smiley LOL

for the not so subtle approach