The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Pre Season Training

Yeah I’ve been beer curling, that’s about it!!!! Oh man, I’ve been eating and drinking too much bad stuff lately billy

I have a gym membership but now that I’ve moved I’m no where near it - gotta cancel!!
Just dropped from playing basketball 3 times a week to only 2…. My legs are pretty good at the snow though, never really hurt!

i have been looking at the snow addiction and doing it in the living room my wife thinks i have lost a plot ..

That’s not a bad idea. I might do a little bit of carpet buttering myself (that sounded a bit sexual and creepy)

I’ve just been gym-ing it, to try and strengthen my joints and prevent injuries. And some one leg squat jumps up the stair. They suck! But they are building up the muscles that support my bad knee so I gotta do them.

I’m also getting back on the skateboard to get my balance and reflexes back. And just cause skating is sick. I wish I tried to learn to skate properly as a kid instead of just rolling around.

same here.. if youtube was around when i was a kid I would be awesome at skating and BMX LOL.
i have found that just pumping up and down the mini ramp is a great workout!

LowGuido - 27 May 2012 03:46 PM

same here.. if youtube was around when i was a kid I would be awesome at skating and BMX LOL.
i have found that just pumping up and down the mini ramp is a great workout!

Yeah it sure is.

And I know exactly what u mean about youtube.
It’s still really hard to learn to skate but at least we can teach ourselves now. When we were kids the only way to learn anything was to ask someone that’s better than you. And kids usually just give answers like “just jump in the air and kick the board, it’s easy” lol.

The new generation of kids have got it easy!

blizzard_22 - 27 May 2012 01:04 AM

I have never done training lol. I actually find tho the best thing is heaps of walking!!! 6 months off the board, went for a slide in America after walking around for 4 weeks straight and didn’t have a single pain from it!!!

That could also mean you are getting better lol. Less falls, (less time, only 1 day) and a good amount of runs last year will mean you don’t hurt as much.

I never hurt when I go down unless I K2 myself lol.

TJswish - 28 May 2012 10:40 AM

I never hurt when I go down on K2 myself lol.

hmmm

gulp what?

as long as you do some jaw exercises before hand you should be right… haha

Andy Aitken - 27 May 2012 12:51 PM

carpet buttering.

F#%k that made me laugh. Reminded me of this:

LOL

Man lol, I’ve made sure ive found my ankle brace as my right foot always gives me some kinda trouble ever since a small sprain one season! :(

Oh and also, that thing where you go up and down on your toes with legs together really does strengthen those lower legs! smile

CANT WAIT TO GET THERE NEXT W/E !!!!

DannyB - 30 May 2012 06:36 AM

Oh and also, that thing where you go up and down on your toes with legs together really does strengthen those lower legs! smile

Those would be standing calf raises.

Can someone explain these too me. I want to give them a go. Anything that strengthens the muscles in my knees is a big plus for me

Andy Aitken - 30 May 2012 01:02 PM

Can someone explain these too me. I want to give them a go. Anything that strengthens the muscles in my knees is a big plus for me

Calf raises? If so here’s the unweighted version
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Gastrocnemius/BWStandingCalfRaise.html

If you have decently strong calves there are a number of ways you can add weight to make them harder (it’s a very strong muscle and you can load a fair bit of weight pretty easily). If they are particularly weak start on on a flat floor and progress to something like the edge of a step.