The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Vancouver / Whistler 2010 Winter Olympics Thread

I’m not too sure Brad. I will see what I can find out.

Did anyone watch the opening ceremony?

It was so sad when the Georgian team came out with a black flag on their flag. You could see the sadness on their faces.

darb - 13 February 2010 05:43 AM

anyone have a link to watch the olympics online?

Check out these links…

http://watch-olympics-online.co.cc/watch-live.php

http://lifehacker.com/5469488/

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/index.html

I’ll see what else I can find.

DALE WINS SILVER, CANADA GETS FIRST GOLD

Dale Begg-Smith has become the most successful Australian in Winter Olympic history with a silver medal in the moguls competition at Cypress Mountain.

Begg-Smith, who won gold in Torino, finished with a final score of 26.58 to finish just behind local hero Alexandre Bilodeau on a score of 26.75.

The gold for Canada is the first whilst hosting an Olympic Games (Summer or Winter). American Bryon Wilson was third.

Begg-Smith was disappointed to miss gold but philosophical with the result.

“I skied the way I wanted to ski and that’s all I can control,” Begg-Smith said.

“There were a lot of good runs out there today. And it just depends on the day how you do.

“I was just very happy to ski the way I did.”

Begg-Smith was pleased that a Canadian won the gold.

“I think it’s great that Canada won. The crowd was happy. They went crazy.”

Begg-Smith’s coach Steve Desovich says the Australian’s performance was sensational.

“You have to remember that he was on the surgeons table having his knee repaired just a short time ago,” he said.

“It was a brilliant run – he pulled out his best performance in the final and I’m proud of what he did,” Desovich added.

“He really is a special performer, becoming a two time Olympic medallist puts him up there with the all time greats of his sport,” he said.

The silver medal is the 7th medal won by Australia in Winter Olympic history, and marks the 5th successive Olympic Games that Australia has won a medal.

Bilodeau dedicated the win to his brother Frederic, who suffers from cerebral palsy.

“He is my inspiration. Growing up with him puts everything in perspective,” he said.

Bilodeau knows he will now enter the record books in Canada with his gold medal performance.

“Yes, it will start a party, but there are plenty of more gold coming for Canada,” he added.

The silver medal is the 7th medal won by Australia in Winter Olympic history, and marks the 5th successive Olympic Games that Australia has won a medal.

Source: olympics.com.au

Chumpy and Damon both ripping in the boarder Cross quals this morning.

Won’t be much work happening here this morning     grin

Hey Spaz, a few of the riders had head cams on. You over there doing some work?

http://behaya.info/link1.html

snowboard X on right now.

ESPN live link i found from another forum….works for me and no eddie macguire

That was such a shame for Chumpy. He was killing it.

Next snowboarding event is women’s bordercross tomorrow morning.

Is there a program for the snowboarding events ie when they are on? For online viewing that is…

I’m not sure where you can watch it, but here are the times for the snowboarding events:

HALFPIPE

Men’s qualification - Thursday, 18/2 - 8:00am

Men’s semis - Thursday, 18/2 - 12:15pm

Men’s finals - Thursday, 18/2 - 2:15pm

Women’s qualification - Friday, 19/2 - 7:30am

Women’s semis - Friday, 19/2 - 11:00am

Women’s finals - Friday, 19/2 - 1:00pm

BOARDERCROSS

Men’s - DONE

Women’s - Wednesday, 17/2 - 7:15am (qualification starts before this time)

SLALOM

Women’s - Saturday, 27/2 - 7:15am (qualification starts before this time)

Men’s - Sunday, 28/2 - 7:15am (qualification starts before this time)

Tickets Cancelled, 4000 Spectators Miss Out

FEB 15, 2010

General admission standing room tickets (priced at $50) have been cancelled for Olympic men’s and ladies’ snowboard cross events on Monday and Tuesday at Cypress Mountain. Tickets will be refunded, said the Vancouver Organising Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC).

Heavy warm rains in the last 48 hours have made the ‘general admission standing room’ area at the Cypress snowboard stadium unsafe for spectators. The rains washed away almost a foot of snow in the area where the standing room area was to be located.

With safety the top priority and with the snowboard cross events starting in less than 24 hours, there is insufficient snow to move and build the standing room area back up at the Cypress snowboard stadium. VANOC has protected sufficient contingency snow for field of play at Cypress Mountain.

This cancellation and refund will affect approximately 4,000 spectators per event.

The snowboard cross events affected at Cypress Mountain include:

Monday, February 15, 2010
Men’s snowboard cross (SB001): 10:30 am and 2:00 pm (Pacific Time) -
Price category B only

Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Ladies’ snowboard cross (SB002): 10:00 am and 12:15 pm (Pacific Time)
Price category B only

Decisions on refunds for future events in the snowboard stadium at Cypress Mountain involving general admission standing room tickets for snowboard halfpipe on February 17 and 18; ski cross on February 21 and 23; and snowboard parallel giant slalom on February 26 and 27 will be made in the near future.

Source: VANOC

Cheers Jeremy.

Just saw Chumpy’s runs tonight. What a bummer. He had the speed for gold for sure.

Hey everyone,

Tambazz - 15 February 2010 08:09 PM

Hey Spaz, a few of the riders had head cams on. You over there doing some work?

Thooose Headcams!

Wireless connection. They have a little antenna on them and the riders probably don’t carry the recorder. This technology wont be far off the consumer market. I was impressed by a overhead tracking shot they did down the course, they only showed it once on Nine.

I WISH

Pity about the conditions of the snow, you would think Aussies would be right at home in it tongue wink It’s been so good watching them represent.
How good is the boarderX track layout - just needs fresh snow. Does the blue track markings cause bumps in the corners? Many riders’ boards get bouncy through there.

There’s the tracking shot now!

Steph!!!!!

I’m going home to watch a decent reception

HEY BRAD, you can watch the Canadian coverage on ctv.ca

Men’s snowboard halfpipe final starting in half and hour. The level of riding so far has been incredible.

From what I’ve seen in qualification and the semis…

Shaun for gold
Peetu for silver
Kazuhiro for bronze

...would be my best guess.