The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with skateboards and starting out :)

thanks cj

so, after doing a slalom down a hill, I noticed that there are spots on the base of the deck where the wheels are hitting it. Is this normal? Do I need risers?

How hard were you carving? as in how tight a turn. What size wheels are you on again? And your on high trucks yeh?

Wheel bite is common, but just depends on a few things. Your trucks can be too loose, you are making super tight turns (in this case its expected), your wheels are too big (risers will help this, but you got hi trucks so shouldnt be the issue).

The only real time I get bite is when I really lean too much in a turn, or when landing a drop/trick and land my foot on the edge.

Are you just getting it one way on one wheel? Like always the front left? If it is only happening on the front truck for example, that truck may just be a bit looser, or when you turn you are actually putting most ur weight over that truck and the back truck isnt actually turning much. Make sure you are centred when turning/carving

I’m getting it on all 4 wheels. I was doing big slalom turns to keep my speed down and leaning in. I’ll just chalk it up to the slaloming

Yeh, just sounds like its because of the sharpness of the turn ur goin for. Risers will change it a bit, but I personally dont like to bee sitting too high off the ground

Thing is Gamblor if you have noticed this after the bombing and slalom skating you have nothing to worry about. Wheel bite is a concern when it throws you to the ground. It is where the contact is too great and the wheel completely stops. Had it happen the other day coming out of a grind the other day. Annoying as anything seeing that it was a long 50-50.
Wheel bite is a natural occurance to skateboarding, a bit like divots when playing golf.

good to know. Thanks CJ!