The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Mens v Womens riding equipment/gear

I wanted to get some discussion in this category and thought this to be a good topic since it is one I am fairly curious about!

With outerwear and equipment, do you prefer womens or mens gear?

For me it is:

Board Womens
Bindings Mens
Boots Womens
Jacket Womens
Pants Mens

I had mens boots and they just didn’t work, so changed to womens straight away.

Outerwear I guess it is more based on what you are comfortable wearing. I did have a mens jacket but decided to go for a womens jacket this year, just more fitting and flattering for my figure grin Pants I ended up getting a pair of mens because every womens pair I tried on just didn’t have a good fit for the hips, which kinda sucks when you think that would be the point of womens pants!

Anyone else?

Good topic for the ladies to discuss, blizz!

In summary:  BOARD: Either     BINDINGS: Either     BOOTS: Women’s     JACKET: Men’s     PANTS: Men’s

I started with all women’s gear, but the more I rode, the less practical I realised the outerwear was. You see so many girls sit down to do their bindings up and you can see a clear gap between the top of the pants and their jacket when they bend to do up their bindings…Cold! Due to the stupid cut which blizz mentioned, you also see a large amount of crack!
During the my first season, especially when I was learning to jump, I spent so much time stacking and sliding down the landing upside down and with my pants and back filling with snow that I decided against ladies outerwear & got some new men’s stuff straight away (for xmas!) I always want my jacket to come down well over my butt.

There is SOME ok girls outerwear (like vdawg’s long, black roxy jacket in that vid I posted just before) that is practical but it is few and far between. Mostly the cut of them is ridiculous. I get guys outerwear (with colours like pink on it!) and try not to look like a man by wearing girlyish beanies and pink goggles etc. If you look at what the pro girls wear, their jackets come at least half way down their butts & have a fair bit of room to move in the top half, too.

Bindings & Boots are all pretty similar to men’s, they just make them look prettier for marketing purposes.
If there is any difference in the build construction, it would be a slightly softer flex. I have a ladies board & bindings at the moment but that was more about what was available at the time for the right price than a true preference.

I know this is for the girls, but thought I’d add that of late Mrs Mizu is adamant that she wants a mens jacket due to the silly fashion cuts that the womens gear comes in!!!!!

Boots should be womens due to girls havin different shapes to that of men!!!!! (as a general rule)

Binders and Boards shouldn’t play a huge part as this should be personal preference!!!!!

So far the the only men’s thing I’ve had are bindings - they are good for my big feet! wink
I agree with the cut of women’s clothing - some pants and jackets are so crap!!! Like bloody hipsters!

i wear a girls g string.
They feel so much better than the boys ones…

And the weird bit is that no one hacked ya!!!!!

yeh i know, whats your take on the male VS female g string?

My GF currently has all girls jacket/pants and she hates them, as said above the “cuts” of the outerwear is not at all conducive to keeping snow out. Jacket rides up alot, and my girl does fall down a fair bit so it annoys her. Think i may get her a mens jacket for her bday

I’m a boxer shorts type of man myself, deano!!!!!

Problem is I just find that most of the prettier colours only ever go up to a size 12!!!!! rage

I had a mens jacket and sold it in favour of a more form fitting womens jacket. I haven’t had too much trouble with length. In fact the mens jacket I had, when I sat down, would fold up at the front. Argh so annoying!!!

I spent most of my teens and twenties wearing/using mens gear as they didn’t seem to have much top of the line gear for woman. ie Columbia Titanium was mens only for a while.

Now there is much better selection and so I get more woman specific stuff. Especially important for boots, I think anything where flex is a factor, boots bindings and even board it is still important. Especially up the top end as even though you might ski/board just as good as a guy (maybe even better!) That the fact is we aren’t as aggressive as a guy, and so usually stiffer stuff means we have to work a lot harder.

Interesting topic.

Board - Would buy either but currently all my boards are girl specific
Bindings - As above
Boots - Girls
Jacket - Girls but it’s massive and long!
Pants - Guys, always. Can never seem to find girls pants that are a good cut and baggy enough. Pants need to be comfortable.
Gloves - Grenade park gloves, I guess you could either consider them unisex or mens.

ozgirl - 28 April 2012 02:00 AM

I spent most of my teens and twenties wearing/using mens gear as they didn’t seem to have much top of the line gear for woman. ie Columbia Titanium was mens only for a while.

Now there is much better selection and so I get more woman specific stuff. Especially important for boots, I think anything where flex is a factor, boots bindings and even board it is still important. Especially up the top end as even though you might ski/board just as good as a guy (maybe even better!) That the fact is we aren’t as aggressive as a guy, and so usually stiffer stuff means we have to work a lot harder.

I don’t personally think that girls need to ride girls boards, i mean you can get so many boards that are flexy as shit.
Most decent brands don’t even carry separate mens/womens lines. If you want a flexy, soft board get a board that is flexy/as with hard boards.

deanobruce - 28 April 2012 08:45 AM
ozgirl - 28 April 2012 02:00 AM

I don’t personally think that girls need to ride girls boards, i mean you can get so many boards that are flexy as shit.
Most decent brands don’t even carry separate mens/womens lines. If you want a flexy, soft board get a board that is flexy/as with hard boards.

Ah okay!

Clearly it is a ski thing then grin

Hang on…

I have some more questions…. So in Snowboard design they don’t make a Board and then make almost the exact same board with a few tweaks more specific female riders??

i said most decent brands dont. Some brands do make girls boards, but i dont think they are necessary (except if you want a girly design). all the girls i have ridden with, my missus included, ride mens/not gender specific boards and they ride fine.

ozgirl - 28 April 2012 09:03 AM

Hang on…

I have some more questions…. So in Snowboard design they don’t make a Board and then make almost the exact same board with a few tweaks more specific female riders??

if i am understanding the question properly
then yes .....take GNU Park pickle

MODEL NAME   CONTACT LENGTH   SIDE CUT   NOSE WIDTH   WAIST WIDTH   TAIL WIDTH   STANCE Min-Max/BOC   Board Category   Contruction Type   Flex 1=soft 10=firm   Weight Range (lbs)

Park Pickle         147   108 cm   8 / 7.2   28.1   24.6   28.1   20.25?-25? / 0?  Asym Twin   BTX   5.5   70-150
Womens Park Pickle 148   111 cm   8.1 / 7.3   27.7   24.2   27.7   19.24?-24?/ 0?  Asym Twin   BTX   5.5   90-180

see the difference in numbers between males 147 and female 148
yes there is a 1cm difference in length but biggest difference is the last figure ...weight range

also female boards tend to be in the smaller end of the scale