The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How to get a job in Japan…

So, I’ve set my sights on working in Japan for their winter.
I know it’s too early to apply, but how the hell DO you apply?

Every other resort I’ve ever worked for has had a “jobs” or “employment” link on their webosite. But all the Japanese resort site don’t seem to have one.

Any ideas?
Has anyone worked their for a season, or particularly instructed their?

Cheers
MU… I mean Andy

I think there was someone on here that works and lives up there but forgot the name, sorry not much of a help.

Yeah, I know Gamblor lives there but I don’t think he works for a resort (judging by the size of his house lol)

I’m sure there were one or two people that did seasons over there but I can’t remember who…

JohnnoT works in Hakuba, but pretty sure he doesn’t work for the mountain!!!!!

Have ya shot any emails off to the travel/realestate groups????? Like Ski Japan, Hokkaido Travel, Niseko Realestate?????

I’m sure these guys could help steer you in the right direction!!!!!

Even Rhythm Cooma might know as they have a store in Hirafu!!!!!

Also try Hanazono, as they are (not 100% sure that they still are) owned/run by an Aussie group!!!!!

Also the new co advertising here on Boardworld, Mint Tours!!!!!

Tnx mizu I was searching through old threads for his name, he is a bus driver for the resort I believe y

Andy,

I may be wrong but pretty sure the resorts themselves don’t have ski instructors. It is other companies like Evergreens and the like.

I have a friend who has just come back from Niseko working as an instructor - tried to get her to post on the last working in Japan thread. will try again.

Also another thing to think about (going off the comments in the other threads) is if you are looking to not party and hang out in Aussie run bars and stuff then live in Kutchan. The nearest ‘city’ to Niseko (about 5min drive!)

Sweet, thanks Oz. Very helpful shaka

Also if your friend could post on here that would be perfect. She would have all the answer I would think.

It makes sense that they hire their staff through an agency because their sites have no ‘jobs’ section. Although they must hire lifties and people somehow… hmmm weird.

I’ve been trying to avoid job agencies because they are notorious for asking for huge amounts of money for finding you a job, which is something I have always done myself. Maybe it’s different in Japan, I’ll check it out.

Hey Andy, they are not agencies - they are actually companies that run ski schools. You would be working for them not the resort.

Just posted on her wall - tagged you. Can you see it? Not sure what happens with privacy settings with that??

Yep, I saw it, you’re a star Ozgirl. Thanks cheese

uhm? Hello.

Free flights, Visas, Accom, food? no?

what?

SamNZ - 23 April 2012 05:39 AM

uhm? Hello.

Free flights, Visas, Accom, food? no?

Yeah, what r u talking about samwise?
The Club Med thing?

if you want to get in contact with the PR people of the resorts, just go on their facebook page and ask/pm.
but working for the mountain generally sucks if you want to ride. I know Happo didn’t give passes to the restaurant staff until after the new year’s holidays (so they’d have less people on the hill!). This was a few years ago when I talked to one of the staff - even thought the resort opened at the end of november they couldn’t ride til Jan 10th or something!
Teaching is also a challenge as the Japanese have different ideas about teaching. My friend worked for 47 and he had compulsory meetings after work that were completely useless as well as a million other illogical working conditions. Oh yeah, here’s another one - their pass was part of the ski school jacket, so if they want to ride on their own time, they still need to wear the ski school jacket buwahahahahaha. so stupid.

Evergreen is a good company. Other option is to work for a lodge for the pass. You can ride after your morning chores and be back in time for dinner chores. You also get days off.