The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Snowboard instructors and teaching methods.

I know that there is, or there are plans for there to be a few quality snowboard instructors on these forums.
I also know that these forums will be quite international.
I am curious about different countries’ fundamental teaching styles…

I reside in the US and I’m a member of the AASI (Americal Association of Snowboard Instructors)
The AASI teaches a fundamental teaching method that emphasizes body movements closest to the board are the movements that have the most impact on effecting the board. (we can call this the method that teaches from the ‘bottom up’).

I know that some teach differently.
Some may teach from the center out, perhaps… (that core movements are most important)
What is your organization and what is the fundamental methods?

I dont want to debate it, and think about this as who is right and wrong… because I am sure that there are pros and cons to each method, especially with different things being taught…
We all know what works best for the learner in that situation is the best for that moment.
Effectiveness reigns.

I hope to get some decent discussion.

There will be a lot of instructors on these forums, which I think is great for helping members and also discussing different techniques. I have already noticed a few on here and I’m sure they will pop in to say hi.

My qualifications are through CASI (Canada) and I have experience working in Australia so I am familiar with APSI (Australia). When I think CASI, the phrase ’ initiate with your upper body, drive with your lower body’ always comes to mind. Being trained this way, when I ride it’s always how I think, initiate then drive. I went to a few level 3 training sessions this season and the trainers would often say that feet and ankle movements should happen first in high performance turning. I think the bottom up approach is a winner when it comes to high performance turns.

CASI for beginner turns definately approach it from top to bottom. Rotate with your upper body, lower body follows.

APSI from what I’ve experienced really like to explain things from the hips.

I’m so happy to discuss this stuff…

Jeremy,
I thought you were certified in 2 different countries’ organizations.

No, I trained with APSI, didn’t sit the exams. I’m all CASI.

its weird hey how there can be so many different approaches to teaching the same thing.  I’m CASI as well, although i’ve been riding with a swedish friend whos NZ certified and i’ve been using quite a bit of what hes been teaching me for my lessons.  I think its really useful to have a few different ideas cos i totally agree with someone on these forums that said that the best instructor is the one who can explain the same thing in the most ways, sorry i can’t remember who it was to give credit…

I find talking to other instructors really useful when it comes to teaching people, and i’m always happy to steal a good idea! 

I don’t know about other countries but the canadian park certification is pretty weak, it really doesn’t prepare you for teaching in the park, most of what i use when teaching in the park is curtesy of my above mentioned swedish friend who such a dope teacher!  Basically tiny little steps building on each other….although those videos that are gonna be on here are soooo good!