The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Bs Smith on a ramp. Need help

Hey was just wondering if anyone could help with bs smith grinds on a ramp. I’ve been trying them down at the park, and like I got back 50-50 like down pretty good. And I can bs smith stall. But whenever I go for the smith grind I always slip out and end up on my ass. Anyone able to help??

When u slip out, do you mean the board drops back into the tranny and you land on the lip/ramp?

It like slips as in starts going into tail and it slips into the tranny and I land on my ass on the coping. Not very fun

hey mate, I’ve been skating a long time, and only relatively recently learned back smiths properly (on tranny). It came about by actually being on top of a 5050, but kinda missing and I put the rail down and I was like “wow, that’s the ticket”. See, previously I was trying to push through really hard and jam the rail, but basically leaning into the tranny too much, and it was ultimately nothing like a 5050; now another thing with 5050’s is that your body is generally open, ie- your arms are spread out either side of your torso, and that is a major feature with back-smiths too. Again, when I was trying in the past, my rear arm was pointing (more) forwards instead of being opened out, which in turn drops your (trailing) shoulder, shifting you to re-enter the tranny involuntarily; opening up your arms helps position you on top of the lip more, keeps your rear shoulder up, and all at the same time helps you push your whole momentum forwards, instead of back in!
Once your actually grinding properly, re-entry is the easy part, as you basically just lift up like a 5050 (except not so much) and ride out.
Boom!
One other thing, pointing your front toes forwards can also be helpful, just like a good front smith (and it looks good too).

Im not the best tranny skater but it sounds like you need to get more above the coping, slipping out on a smith usually goes to lipslide so to be slipping to your tail it shows you’re not enough over the coping smile

Ok. Can’t wait to try this out tomoz if it hopefully isn’t raining.also think you solved my problem for back feebles as well as I kept on going to like decks before going in. Will give it a try and get back to you.
Thanks

Ti is definitely on the money with that. He is a wise old man when it comes to ride tranny.

C J Parker - 02 March 2012 07:36 PM

Ti is definitely on the money with that. He is a wise old man when it comes to ride tranny.

Hahaha that sounded so dirty the first time I read it

LOL

I tried them again today but someone idiot waxed the coping up like a ridiculous amount and then just left. i got some dodgy smith slashes going but i still couldnt get them as a grind. the problem now is that my back trucks go ontop of the ramp and it becomes like a fakie rock in. any advice?

I still need help with these trick. Anyone able to help?

hey mate, if you are over rotating at the top and ending up in rock position, you could try to use your upper body to counter rotate that. When once you get up on the coping try keep your shoulders 90deg to the coping, instead of parallel. Or halfway between the two. This should stop the board from from wanting to spin right through to rock, and help lock the board and front wheels into the ramp instead of rolling back in.

I could be way off, but just thinking about it and doind motions in my office at work, I see that as possibly being helpful

Haha true. Im in class ATM and was doing the motions and my teacher thinks I’m spastic hahaha

I will give it a try when I get down to the park this arvo if the weather is alright :/