The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

kickflip help

I’ve been practicing my kickflips and i just can’t get my front foot on

Hey wazza, welcome to Boardworld.

What exactly is happening with your front foot?  Are you able to catch it with your back foot, but the front lands off to the side?

Give us a little more info on whats happening and we will be able to offer advice as it could be many things that are causing this to happen.

Even better, if you were able to film your self trying a kickflip we can see exactly what your doing.

I can’t kickflip either :( I can only catch it with my back foot. LOL

it,s pissing me off

I was scared when i started doing it and i got in the habit of not getting my front foot on but i will send a video

Understand your frustation. Can be a pain in the ass when a trick just isnt working for ya.
Vid will be great. Look forward to seeing it!

What the hell???
Everyone always says they can only catch it with their backfoot… I can only catch it with my front foot lol
I’m special billy

Hey wazza,

The key thing that is causing you to not get the front foot on is you are pushing it down to make the board flip. To flip it you need to pop, drag up like an ollie but then flick your toes out and to the side a bit. this way your foot always stays above the board and it can catch up into your feet.
Currently you push down so the board is above your feet. No way you will be able to get your foot back on.

Check out Mitch’s how to video below. The first slow mo at 30seconds shows you perfectly what I mean with front foot movement.
You are gonna need to be jumping and poping a lot higher to achieve this. How solid are your moving ollies?

Andy Aitken - 29 February 2012 12:08 PM

What the hell???
Everyone always says they can only catch it with their backfoot… I can only catch it with my front foot lol
I’m special billy

You might be flicking too far forward and not enough off the side. Or just too hard. This can cause the board to move ahead of you. Try to jump forward (in the direction of rolling) to help keep both feet above the board

i can ollie a skateboard is high enough.  so is there anything i can do to do a kickflip like getting me to flick my toe

What the hell???
I’m special billy

I used to have the same problem dude. Just jump forward like a little bit and try to. Push a bit more of to the side and not the nose. Also dude the biggest thing is just committing. If you think too much about falling the whole time then you aren’t going to progress. Just go for them man. Let us know how you go

wazza128 - 29 February 2012 08:07 PM

i can ollie a skateboard is high enough.  so is there anything i can do to do a kickflip like getting me to flick my toe

So the same way you slide your front foot up the board towards the nose when olling a board (rolling at the ankle and draging the toe/side of foot up the grip as u pop), you will use similar technique with a kicky. Difference is do it towards the top pock of the board ( where the deck turns into the nose) and as you get to that corner with ur foot you flick that last bit off the board.

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 29 February 2012 12:51 PM

What the hell???
I’m special billy

You might be flicking too far forward and not enough off the side. Or just too hard. This can cause the board to move ahead of you. Try to jump forward (in the direction of rolling) to help keep both feet above the board

Or you should be skating on a snowboard!!!

You look like that you are opening your shoulders to much when you are doing your kickflip. This leads to you not staying over your board and having your front foot come away from your board. When you pop for your kickflip keep your shoulders in line with the board so your whole body stays over the deck.

learning kickflips is def on my to-do list!